SCMS Recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking to get a new compound chop saw, and was hoping for a slider. However due to the (obligatory?) space problems in the workshop I would like to get one that only slides forward, i.e. the sliding rods project out of the front and the head slides on them, rather than the rods sliding back.

Anyone got any particular recommendations? Willing to lay out for a good one if needed but would prefer a price below £300 if poss.

All suggestions gratefully received.

I'm aware of only 2 that do that. The Festool Kapex and Hitachi do a model of similar design.

Neither are under £300, sorry.

The question I would ask is, do you really need a slider? Unless you are planning on cutting a lot of boards wider than 150 mm, you would be better off with a non-slider...you'll get a better, more accurate saw for your money. I got a DW703 and have found it to be very accurate and consistent, though it needed a replacement blade for finer work.

My vote goes to the DW777 - a newer version of my DW700. Small, compact, light and properly set up with a decent blade; accurate. The sliding rods are at the front and it has very good dust extraction - so long as you buy the DW extraction kit for it.

I second the vote for a DW777.

I have the DW707 and the forward sliding design gives it a tiny footprint. It's plenty accurate, quiet and as Krysstel says, the dust extraction is very good.

The lever on the grip which retracts the blade guard takes some getting used to, and it can't do trenching cuts, but neither of these are problems for me.

ahh I stand corrected. That DW777 looks good. The description says it's supposed to be used as a pull saw? Does that mean you plunge into the cut and pull out? Sounds odd to me.

I'd go for the Axminster deal which is a bit more money but you get the 48T blade

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-DeWa ... 725223.htm

wizer":3piuwadd said:
The description says it's supposed to be used as a pull saw? Does that mean you plunge into the cut and pull out? Sounds odd to me.

Indeed. I've tried it both ways, and I'm not a fan of plunge-then-pull, it feels a lot less controllable that way round.

On the other hand, unlike a "normal" SCMS, when you pull the 777 out it goes up as well as out which doesn't feel that natural or balanced. IMHO, the springs which return the head to the "in" position are a smidge too strong, so it's highly advisable to fix the saw down to something solid.

DeepBlue":3n9oeqps said:
I second the vote for a DW777.

I have the DW707 and the forward sliding design gives it a tiny footprint. It's plenty accurate, quiet and as Krysstel says, the dust extraction is very good.

The lever on the grip which retracts the blade guard takes some getting used to, and it can't do trenching cuts, but neither of these are problems for me.

Another vote for the 707

George_N":9dfxkoiw said:
The question I would ask is, do you really need a slider? Unless you are planning on cutting a lot of boards wider than 150 mm, you would be better off with a non-slider...you'll get a better, more accurate saw for your money. I got a DW703 and have found it to be very accurate and consistent, though it needed a replacement blade for finer work.

I have to agree with the above comment , i too have a 703 and it is very acurate and well made , also if you nip over to your local B&Poo you can pick one up for the bargain price of £149 :shock: Just add a better blade and jobs done :wink:

Back