Schwiboggen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwa

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, it has been decreed by "She" that we want one of those "light up German archy things", this after perusing various online Christmas stores. Eventually I narrowed it down with the help of useless tub to German Schwiboggen. Ok I thought, get a pattern and rattle one off on the scrollsaw. Ho Ho. Unfortunately it's not that easy, patterns for these things are like hens teeth, very rare. So does anyone know of a source, particularly our european mainland members of scrollsaw patterns for these decorations. SWMBO has decreed and I want some dinner.
Cheers all.
John

Think he means something more like this
Screenshot_20221019-104326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Morning all, it has been decreed by "She" that we want one of those "light up German archy things", this after perusing various online Christmas stores. Eventually I narrowed it down with the help of useless tub to German Schwiboggen. Ok I thought, get a pattern and rattle one off on the scrollsaw. Ho Ho. Unfortunately it's not that easy, patterns for these things are like hens teeth, very rare. So does anyone know of a source, particularly our european mainland members of scrollsaw patterns for these decorations. SWMBO has decreed and I want some dinner.
Cheers all.
John
It's Ho Ho Ho! BTW.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Kinverkid my mistake, I googled Patterns rather thanTemplates, you do get a larger feedback from that phrase. The problem is is that many of these templates are for card craft which maybe could be adapted for scrolling, some of the others are for cnc templates or for laser cutters. It does seem pointless paying £15 for a template that's designed for a different process.
Robb1693 I hadn't thought of contacting Scrimper, but as he seems to be a scroll saw "expert" I might bother him and see what he can suggest.
The other alternative is to buy online direct from Germany, there are several decent designers, but that seems a path fraught with pitfalls as I don't speak or read German so I wouldn't be sure exactly what I was buying and the sites don't have a translation facility so it would be a case of buying on a picture
Cheers all
John

Looks like the previous post solved your problem but here is another way.

Not done any scrollsaw work, but is the template just a paper one you stick to the wood? If so, and if you have a Windows computer, try this:
(no idea about mac, but they probably have something similar). This might be wholly irrelevant here, but might be helpful for all sorts of other things.

Find a product picture online, from any website/advert. Normally the image is protected so you can't just copy it.

There is a MS app called snip and sketch, normally installed with the OS but if not its a free download from Microsoft store. It takes an editable picture of whatever is on your screen. Use the system search bar to find it, open it and select new.

Use mouse/touch pad or whatever to select the picture on your screen, just the picture not accompanying text or borders. Usually you select rectangle but yiu can do other shapes or freehand. Go to the top right of snip and sketch and either save the file as a jpg (helps, means you don't have to find it again online) or go to edit. If you have saved it, open it in the inbuilt photos or sketch app and edit from there. Turn it to monochrome and maybe increase the contrast and play about with various brightness and saturation type settings so you get good clear outlines. I have an old affinity photo editor with a find edges button which is excellent for this sort of thing.

Print, but if you only have an A4 printer like most if us you can select poster from the print menu and by fiddling with landscape v portrait and number of sheets you can get it out as 2 or 4 sheets so A3 or A2 equivalent.

I wouldn't steal someone else's design for commercial use, but for a one off try-out for yourself it's probably OK.

Gentlemen thank you for your responses to my question
Pieter9 what you have attached is exactly what I am searching for I really thank you. I will go online and see what they have. Heel erg bedankt (hope thats correct)
Richardc you have managed to answer my unspoken question, how do I turn an image into a template, a very succinct explanation, snip and cut never crossed my mind, it's not a thing I ever had call to use. Thank you also
Cheers
John

Back