Scheppach VS Tormek

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nev Hallam

Established Member
Reaction score
Please can someone shed light on a discussion my work colleague and I are having.
He's thinking about buying a Sheppach wet sharpening stone over a Tomek T3 just because its cheaper. I'm saying I doubt its as good. What's the forums thoughts?

I'm a big fan of Scheppach equipment, but whereas I don't own a sharpening system I know that many folk rate the Tormek systems very highly, so I bet you're right in that the Scheppach would be inferior equipment.

I'm sure someone who's in the know will be along shortly :), Cheers_Dan.

Why is he thinking of a water based machine like the Tormek or Scheppach. They are so last year :wink:

Check out the Worksharp that has many fans including me.

I used to have a Tormek but the wheel had gone out of true and as it had also got quite small after alot of use I was going to replace the wheel until I found the cost :shock:

I instead purchased the Sheppach Tiger for about the same money as the cost of the Tormek replacement stone and have got to say that in use I get exactly the same results using it and the tormek jigs fit it as well.

Save your money and buy a Sheppach!

Roger

my sheppach piece of junk lasted 5 months, that machine is not designed to be used for any thing other than a large ornament! buy the tormek or the worksharp, just keep away from sheppach

I bought an ex-demo Scheppach 2000 (the metal bodied version with 8" wheel) about 2 years ago. All the Tormek jigs fit it, but I found the supplied stone too soft for turning tools (fine for plane blades, though) and upgraded to a Peter Childs Microscrystalline wheel. The cost of the machine and upgraded wheel was far cheaper than the equivalent Tormek machine and I've had no problems whatever with the machine. I bought the Tormek woodturner's jigs, though as the Scheppach ones looked rather flimsy.

Latest posts

Back