Scheppach PL55 160mm Plunge Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spence

Established Member
Reaction score
Just saw this was up for sale on Screwfix on Deal of the Day today at £139 from £199. I would be interested in a good plunge saw with a guide rail as I know they are very versatile and safe to use. Does anyone have any experience with this particular saw?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...otd8781g#product_additional_details_container

The pro's for me are:
-The Price
-Rails included
-Can fit to a dust extractor

The negatives:
-No rail clamps
-Blade is probably junk
-1010W motor

Would I be better avoiding this one and going for something a little more feature heavy? I would love a cordless one that came with rails and a set of clamps!

I believe this saw is similar (or even identical) to the Parkside saw that Aldi/Lidl sell from time to time for about £70.
Lots of discussion about this on the forum if you do a search.

pcb1962":2dwx0byf said:
I believe this saw is similar (or even identical) to the Parkside saw that Aldi/Lidl sell from time to time for about £70.
Lots of discussion about this on the forum if you do a search.

Looks a little different to my parkside, the track is different and it has a riving knife.

Yeah its not the same as the parkside. Never used this one so can't really compare it to the parkside, all I know is that even at the offer prices its twice what I paid for my parkside saw that performs great!

No experience with the Scheppach but I bought the Titan and have nothing but praise for it as well as it being £40 cheaper. The stock blade is surprisingly good and a Freud blade is cheap in that size and even better for fine work. It fits Makita and Festool rails (Makita ones allow the saw to stay locked in when running it at an angle). I have been using it everyday for nearly 2 months so far and it hasn't missed a beat.

Hi, I have had the Scheppach PL55 for three years and have found it to be very good. I use it for cutting down sheet, mostly plywood and also for putting a straight edge on 27mm rough sawn Oak boards prior to planning up. I have never found it to lack power even with the original blade which still cuts fine for what I do. I have two small issues with it both of which I have not bothered to sort out so they aren't major at all. Firstly the return spring is much too strong and when cutting at arms length it takes some holding down, many people just cut the spring down to reduce the force required but I haven't yet. The second small issue is with the rail of which I have one of the longer ones, it bowed fairly early on when I got it and has had to be straightened a couple of times since. This is not along the guiding edge but means it doesn't sit down on the work correctly and where the clamps would be useful if I had any. Otherwise the saw has been reliable and as accurate as I need it to be - no regrets in buying it at all.

Regards

Keith

Hi, on the top of the saw plate just to the outside of the rail guide are two plastic adjustment knobs. These hold an eccentric cam which adjusts the fit of the saw onto the guide rail. They do have a tendency to work loose. Just drop the say onto the rail and adjust both (front and rear adjusters) eccentric cams to contact the guide rail without play and tighten the centre bolts, I am away from the workshop at the moment but I seem to remember that I needed to insert another washer to get them to grip after a fair bit of use, they are only soft plastic and tend to wear if left loose for any time. I must also say that a slight side pressure to keep the saw on the same side of the rail guide is effective as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards Keith

Back