Track/Plunge Saw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisrider

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am finding more and more that a plunge saw would be very useful. I currently have a few circular saws, one being a Bosch GKS 190 which came with a rail guide and that has proved to be invaluable but unfortunately it is only 1400mm long making it frustrating for longer cuts and finding another rail has proved fruitless unless I spend over £100. After seeing a friends Festool plunge saw in action I quite liked how much better it was for cutting sheet materials as well as the plunge option being very handy!

I would love a Festool saw but I've got to be realistic and I can't really justify the cost, so i'm looking at the other end of the spectrum with budget options. Screwfix have the Titan 165mm saw for £90 with 2x700mm rails and that looks great for the money with the option of running Festool track which could be useful if I ever get a Festool saw later on. Screwfix also have the Scheppach 160mm saw for £200 with 2x700mm rails or £250 with 2x1400mm rails (ideal). I can't really see a reason not to buy the Titan, a decent blade and an extra rail, has anybody got one of these and have they been satisfied with its accuracy? Are there any alternatives that people recommend? £250 inc 2.8m worth a guide rail is my maximum budget currently.

Thanks in advance.

I've had a few Titan tools and most went back due to very poor quality with flatness/straightness. The tracks being flat and straight are obviously very important here, so if you are going the Titan route, that is one thing I'd be looking at. Having said that, it would be easy enough to exchange.

Also, if you're going to be cutting more than 700mm often, I'd go for the fixed 1400mm rails. I haven't really had any problems joinging two 700mm pieces, but I think it would be just that bit more true/reliable/sturdy it being one piece.

You might find one going on ebay but I have been very pleased with my Parkside from Lidl. As standard it comes with 2x700mm rails but it runs perfectly on festool tracks. I bought myself a 1.4m festool track when there was a good offer on about a year or so ago. Using joining strips I have the option of 1.4m, 2.1m or 2.8m of track.
I paid £60 for the saw, about £40 for the festool track, I had one joining strip and I made another but they are not expensive to buy and I also bought 2 x festool clamps which were about £15. So for under £120 I have a very capable plunge saw setup.

I picked up the Titan for review a few weeks back; haven't finished it yet, but short answer is that it's great for the money, albeit with a couple of quirks e.g. it has anti-kickback built in, but doesn't seem to have a way of permanently disengaging it. But yes, a lot about it to like, great value of money, and the option to use Festool or Makita rails later if you need; if you go for the Makita rails, you also get the anti-tipping thing on bevel cuts, too.

Cheers, Pete (Festool,user, if that makes a difference)

Thanks for the advice guys. I picked one up today and I have been cutting a load of OSB with it and it has worked well. As mentioned by transatlantic, the joined 700mm tracks aren't ideal as they shift about on anything that isn't perfectly flat (The OSB was a bit curved from storage) so I'll order some 1400mm very soon.

As petermillard said the anti kick feature is present and can't seemingly be disengaged without warranty ruining surgery. It can be a little annoying although you get used to it, I'm sure I'll appreciate it at some point when things go wrong but for now I found it a bit of an inconvenience compared to my Bosch setup.

The standard blade is surprisingly good, I picked up a Freud blade at the same time but haven't felt the need to fit it right now.

Build wise it's a bit better than other Titan stuff I've had but still the fairly typical heavy but solidly built sort of feel they give. It certainly feels better quality than the Bosch GKS190 I have.

There isn't a case or bag included so that may be something to consider if you will be throwing it in a vehicle often.

Back