SCARY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a great deal of time for NORM but I saw something the other day that really did surprise me. It was an old program on TV before he had a tenoning jig. He was cutting the cheek cuts on some narrow stock about 10 cms wide held vertically against the rip fence and I kid you not his fingers were no more than a couple of cms from the top of the saw blade. He was using downward pressure as well as side pressure and I just swallowed hard as the blade disappeared into the wood, he must have great confidence and control, but I am very glad he now uses the tenoning jig.

I watched a guy on QVC this morning flogging a router table and router. He was using what looked like a 3/4 roundover bit with a guide bearing and rounding the corners on a small piece of pine, no guard at all, just the bit poking up through the table. The look on the resident "expert" Orlando's face was a picture, especially when the guy then proceded to round off a piece of 3/4 MDF with no mask or eye protection. Somebody is going to get seriously hurt thinking that this is the correct way to use these tools.

That is a fraction, to be fair, on the close side, though I knew of guys in the trade who would curse and swear at the guard on a 20" circular saw blade on a very large sliding panel saw because it got in the way of doing tricky and accurate stuff. However, it was never, under any circumstances removed - Rob

We all take risks from time to time, but there's a difference between taking a personal risk and making an example to emulate of bad and downright dangerous practice as Norm and a few others do on TV. The really annoying thing is that Norm et al could so easily show safe working practice with so little extra effort.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't know, the recommended minimum distance of fingers to saw blades on most formal training courses is 300mm, regardless of what type of holding or pushing mechanism you're using.

Scrit

Scrit wrote:
Oh, and for anyone who doesn't know, the recommended minimum distance of fingers to saw blades on most formal training courses is 300mm

Although its a few years ago since I did my course, I seem to recollect that the minimum distance was 400mm, may be wrong though - Rob

Either way it's a ruddy sight further than an inch.......

Scrit

Scrit wrote:
Either way it's a ruddy sight further than an inch.......

Apologies and point taken...as a further example to those already mentioned, I was watching DIY SOS the other night and had to wince when I saw how close the chippy guys fingers were coming when he was using the site saw; its not the first time I've seen him, and others doing stuff which is potentially lethal - Rob

Latest posts

Back