Scary moment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I was trying to hollow out a cylinder this morning. I was also getting too cocky and doing stuff without first reading up about it. I'd mounted the cylinder on a chuck with a screw thread that went into one end of the work.

Manfully trying to find the right tool for the job (and without much success) I got my first major dig-in.

In a flash, it knocked the workpiece well out of balance, leaving it spinning and banging on the tool rest ..scaring me to death...ready to fly off at any moment. Mains on/off switch located behind the lathe meant I'd have to walk round in front of the missile...what a dumb place to mount the on/off switch :oops:

Had to resort to switching off the power to the whole place from the CU.

Motto of story : make sure all switches are conveniently located :?

A bit close for comfort :shock: (but if I said it had never happend to me,I'd be lying..)
The on/off switch on my lathe is,however,positioned right at the front where it is easy to get at 8)

Andrew

Hi roger

Now you can understand why Jason (JFC) uses a stick to switch on/off his machines :lol: :lol:

Regards

Andy

Hello Roger.
That did sound like one scary moment. :(
I did see some lathes,when i was looking, that had the switch on the side or round the back that would be awkward to get to in such circumstances as yours,and thought about what ifs, :? so opted for one that was mounted on the front.
Surely manufacturers should look at these points also.
It all comes from experience,and is something to look out for when buying other machines,and how you use them.
Just glad no one was hurt. :)
Paul.J.

Thanks, Ray.

I've got a spare NVR switch and I'm going to mount that at the tailstock end.

Later on, I may well get an isolator put into the feeds to the workshop so that I can kill power from the door if I need to.

What was the grain orientations? If it was running along the lathe as in spindle work then I wouldn't recommend using a screw chuck to hold the wood - everything I've seen written says that screws do not hold well in end grain like this.

Normally for this operation I mount the wood between centres as for spindle work, turn one end flat and put a dovetail mount for the chuck on that end. Then I hold the wood in the chuck to hollow out.

Glad to hear you weren't injured.

Duncan

duncanh":1w52xl2u said:
What was the grain orientations? If it was running along the lathe as in spindle work then I wouldn't recommend using a screw chuck to hold the wood - everything I've seen written says that screws do not hold well in end grain like this.

Yes it was exactly as you have said. I need to understand faceplate turning and chucking a bit better. Not convinced that I've got the ideal chuck but that could be/is due to my lack of knowledge.

Back