Scantool Wetstone Sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike

I bought one, badged as Record, a few years back and it soon found it's way into a dark dusty corner of the workshop and got replaced by a Tormek !

Couldn't get the wheel to run true, even after much attention from a diamond truing thing and/or devil stone, and the fact that you have to fill the trough with water manually and then tip the entire machine upside down to empty it soon became a real annoyance.

Also recall that the toolrest was flimsy and flexed a fair bit as well which didn't help the whole experience.

Although the Tormek is a different price league all together and difficult to justify unless you are going to use it a lot, by contrast to the Scan tool one once you have it you never regret it and find yourself looking for more things to sharpen just for the fun/satisfaction ! Perhaps I should get out more :D

By the way, I know of a secondhand Scantool/Record one that might be available if the price was right :wink:

Cheers

Sorry Mike, only just noticed your question from a few days ago :oops:

Can't remember the model number but I went for the larger, more expensive version on the basis I have learnt the hard way on various tools that you always tend to regret not paying that bit extra to begin with as once you have a tool/machine and start using it you soon find out where and why the savings have been made and tend to wish you had a spent a bit more in the first place.

So I tend to either not buy, or wait until I can afford the better spec kit as it's nearly always worth it in my experience.

Having said that I think the smaller Tormek is still probably a good piece of kit if you don't plan to use it heavily. Think the motor is less powerful and only rated for intermittent use, and that the casing is plastic rather than sheet metal so may perhaps be a little less rigid with regard to the toolrest mountings but I haven't actually used once in practice to be fair.

So probably depends on the amount and nature of the useage you are likely to get from it.

I worked on the basis that I would probably get ten years or more service from it so might as well spend a bit extra and make sure I wasn't dissapointed, and I'm sure you won't be either regardless of which model you were to choose :D

I'd add my vote to the Tormek too - I have the small one. One of my luckier buys off ebay, I paid about £70. It was spelt as Tomek and I think people may have not found it.

If you'r think tormek the Scheppach Tiger version looks good too and is cheaper I believe.

Colin

Back