sawn tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musomaniac

Established Member
Reaction score
i have acquired these from a friend , they are roughly 24 inches across , i dont know what species they are , but i do know they are too big for me
would i be able to sell these , and what would be a good price

20150717_115955_zpsfgyqlvfj.jpg

Pretty tricky to identify in that state, but from the bark I would hazard they are Ash, as for value, not much, if you got a fiver each I would think that would be pretty good. You might get a little more if you cut them into decent blanks, sealed and dried them, but like anything else, the value is really set by what anyone is willing to pay.

phil.p":pj4a29wa said:
From the roughness of the bark, I'd have said oak. If they're only 10" deep, they'll make good logs, but that's about all.

yep if i could chop them up i would for the firepit , but as i have no means of doing that , i'll just drop them off at the local tip

How long have they been down? If they were recently felled (which it doesn't look like) then they may be ok for turning if you can convert them. If they've been down a while and not sealed then they are likely only good for firewood.

If you can get them to NE7 7EY in Newcastle then I'll happily chainsaw them to a suitable size for you to attempt to turn.

Hard to tell the species from the photo but I could almost certainly identify once cut.

thanks everyone for the advice , and for the offers of cutting them up for me , yes they have been down a long time , and as duncahn says they are unfortunately only good for firewood , as they are full of splits , ah well , john smiths and a fire cant be bad over the weekend , i'm going to borrow next doors axe and do a "here's johnny " on them

I did misread you, sorry. For me splits cracks stains etc are part and parcel of wood I use and the size of these makes them usefu for any number of things but I appreciate that as sellable objects they would't be seen by many the same way.

pete

Latest posts

Back