Sawdust Is Getting Me Down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last few days I have spent quite a bit of time sweeping and clearing up sawdust.

To be honest it has got to me as I don't have anything to catch stuff from my table saw or thicknesser.

After looking at some options, (why is there always a bewildering array), I have come up with three possiblilities at the moment:

a) Camvac GV286W Wall Mounted £219 + additional cost for attachments
b) Axminster ADE2200 £229 + free kit worth £49.99
c) Record RSDE2 50L Mobile £170

After looking at the 'Forum Uses Dust Collectors and Shop Vacs'thread, I appreciate there are many more options but I need to narrow it down somehow.

I don't cut that much MDF although that may change. The table saw is the main culprit as the chips from the thicknesser although many, are easier to clean up.

The Axminster seems to be a good deal at the moment although it is larger than all the others. The Record is smaller and mobile.

I like the Camvac because of this statement 'Air filtration is via the Camvac standard 3-stage 0.5-micron system, this level of filtration provides users with a level of safety far in advance of other dust collection systems'.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

I have the RSDE2 and it's only fault is the noise. I have to use ear defenders whenever I use it. It handles the P/T with ease and anything else in my shop.

I have the RSDE1 and I have found it to be very good with the thicknesser.
However with the table saw it is no more than adequate, my feeling is that to get decent extraction with a tablesaw you want to be looking at the record dx4000 or the axminster clone.

Harry

Whatever you choose, remember that you really need two different types in the workshop.

For machines which produce large chips of wood (planer/ thicknessers, most saws, spindle mouldes, etc.) you need a High Volume Low Pressure system, That means it sucks lots of air relatively slowly through a big (4") tube.

For power tools which produce fine particles ( such as sanders, routers) you need a High Pressure Low Volume system, sucking air relatively quickly through a small pipe (like a vacuum cleaner).

It's not a case of one-size-fits-all.

Cheers
Steve

I use a Festool CTL Mini for power tools like the router, SCMS, sander, jigsaw etc.

For cleaning up I have a Henry connected to a Triton 30L Dust Collector for gathering stuff up of the floor with.

D

Just check out the suction power of the dx or axminster clone which is what you need for a tablesaw where the dust is not flying out in a particular direction.

The camvacs and the records are very noisy, I mean really noisy :shock:

I would go for the axi and spend a bit extra on the fine filter cartridge to replace the top bag.I believe these to be relatively quiet machines and with the filter ought to do chip and dust collection well.

Haven't tried the axi though in fairness but that is the direction I would go if I didn't already have multiple records and ear defenders !

Cheers, Paul. :D

I have been unable to get a loudness rating from the Record and Camvac websites.

The 1 micron filter cartridge is £114.51 from Axmonster.

I suppose you could enclose one of these units in a self-contained box to help sound-proof.

Has anyone done that?

D

TheDudester":3u74w4p7 said:
I have been unable to get a loudness rating from the Record and Camvac websites.

The 1 micron filter cartridge is £114.51 from Axmonster.

I suppose you could enclose one of these units in a self-contained box to help sound-proof.

Has anyone done that?

D

If you put it in an enclosed box think how the airflow will be affected!
Doh!
Extractors with large bore pipes and induction motors will be quieter than vacs with universal (brush) motors.

Bob

I have one of these

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 580436.htm

It's not the best in the world, the floor cleaning attachment is a gimmick and the pipe supplied with it is only just long enough to reach from the intake to the naff floor cleaning attachment. That said, it is quiet, cheap and connected to my half-decent planer/thicknesser does a relatively good job, you can never really have enough suction :wink:

I would have bought something better but at the time I was quite constrained on cash and I think with a few tweaks like adding a manifold box to take a small diameter pipe for power tool use and maybe a contour following floor sweeping attachment (upcoming weekend project) it's really very good value for money. It's not a fine filter and doesn't have the option to upgrade like the more expensive axminster machines which might be a reason to go for one of those. I just open doors at either end of the garage and let the dust flow out on the breeze

Aidan

I've got an ADE1200 which I used mainly with my planer-thicknesser and it does a good job at collecting chippings and shavings from other machines like my router table as well. It's a HVLP extractor and very quiet-running, but it will collect a decent amount of sawdust from my bandsaw also. I wouldn't advise it to be used with MDF dust though as there is no compatible cartridge filter on the market and very fine dust can escape through the cloth filter bag.

With the 2200 model though, as someone just mentioned, you can use an optional cartridge filter. If you have the space for a larger unit, I reckon you should go for the ADE2200 as it has more capacity than my ADE1200, a greater airflow and twin 100mm outlets.

You'll still need something smaller (HPLV) for MDF dust and power tools though.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

I take on-board the comments about noise levels.

After looking at the dimensions for the ADE2200 it is going to be too big

The ADE1200 on the other hand can fit in several different places which I like. It also comes with a 1microm fine filter bag.

It can sit in the corner of the garage near the table saw and not impede the SCMS even if I wanted to cut really long lengths of wood out of the garage door.
It seems the be the favourite so far and the one which I can judge others against.

D

Charnwood extactor will do what you want and costs a litle over £100

Why pay more?????

Tony":2zm8k10l said:
Charnwood extactor will do what you want and costs a litle over £100

Why pay more?????

I don't know anything about the Charmwood but will look into it.

D

I gave Charnwood and Axminster a call this morning. I have listed the specs below of the two models being discussed.

The Charnwood costs £50 less than the Axminster.
The Axminster collects dust down to 1 micro where as the Charnwood collects dust down to 10 micron.

Is the price more significant here or is the dust collection.

D

Model Charnwood W690 1hp Portable Extractor
Motor (Induction) 750w
Voltage 240v
Air Flow 1020m³/hour
Inlet Diameter 100mm
Bag Capacity 70 Litres
Dimensions (WxDxH) 420mm x 720mm x 1530mm
Weight 30Kg
Micron 10
Rating DIY / Light trade
Price £119.99

Model Axminster ADE1200
Motor (Induction) 750W
Voltage 240v
Air Flow 1,200m³/hr
Inlet Diameter 100mm
Bag Capacity 71 litres
Dimensionsl L x W x H 670 x 360 x 1,400mm
Nett Weight 33kg
Micron 1
Rating Trade
Price £169.95

I think Charnwood may also sell a replacement filter for filtering down to 2 microns, but if this is going to be used for shavings and chippings (no sawdust) and you're unlikely to be working with iroko or greenheart on a regular basis, then you could possibly get away with the cheaper model.

Axminster's "Trade" rating will also ensure you have a better quality, properly insulated motor with your machine. Not that I've ever heard of anything going wrong with a DIY/Hobby-rated motor on an extractor, but it did happen with my previous planer-thicknesser and it's happened to others with table saws too.

I bought a Record CX2600 with the fine filter for £199 (This is my third fine dust extractor) great Machine perfect for MDF, Sanding Dust, etc. Amazing suction and great price :D . without doub the best you can buy under £300

I have the Axminster ADE2200 and the Record DX4000. Both machines are exellent but the Record is so damm noisy that I don't switch it on as often as i'd like to really. The ADE2200 is a superb extractor for the tablesaw and planer/thicknesser. I dropped lucky and got a fine filter cartridge off ebay for £18, It's actually for a much larger machine and makes the total height about 8 feet but the suction has certainly not been restricted in any way by it, in fact I think it's allowing more air through than when it had the felt bag fitted. Highly recommended.
cheers,
jonathan.

Back