Saw Tec sharpening services Eastleigh, Hampshire. Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's not a tool review but I can't see a better place to review a service.

I've just been to Saw Tec in Eastleigh regarding an issue with two circular saw blades I'd had sharpened recently. I just cannot praise the service I've now had highly enough.

The original sharpening was very reasonably priced with a week turnaround from my local tool shop. We phoned up regarding the issue I had which was to do with the regrind angle which did not match the original.

Brian, who I think is the owner has been very helpful including numerous phone calls to myself and the manufacturer in the UK and Germany. I was then treated to a guided tour round Saw Tec's modern facilities, shown the computer controlled machines which do the sharpening (to an accuracy of around a micron) and all the other bits and bobs, planer blade sharpening, router cutter sharpening etc, given a free cup of tea and a free re-grind of both blades, plus a dip in protective plastic. The issue seems to be that these blades were originally ground to an unusual angle and had no information on them to say what the angle should be, in fact it seems impossible to actually find this information out, which I can confirm as I tried to find it out too.

I really can't fault the service I've had and thoroughly recommend Saw Tec for a truly outstanding and knowledgable service.

Good to know.

Do the blades now cut the oak you were struggling with after the first regrind ?

paulm":3kamul7s said:
Good to know.

Do the blades now cut the oak you were struggling with after the first regrind ?

That green oak is now doing a servicable job and I don't have any to cut at the moment, I'll run it through the biggest piece of pine I can find as I'd rather not use the last bit of seasoned oak I've saved for test runs.

For any Mafell owners out there, consider Freud to be an upgrade to the Mafell blades (possibly even Lidl would be an upgrade to Mafell branded blades!!!!).

Good to know. I use Leitz out towards Winchester, excellent quality...but the price!

I'll give Saw Tec a go.

Thanks

I've now tried the blade out on a great lump of green oak. It's cutting well now.

Bearing in mind the problem may have been operator error :oops: , the amount of service I got was truly amazing, particularly as I'm a low volume customer. I'm fairly sure they'd help you out with advice to get the best out of your blades, they supply and install machinery and they sharpen hand saws too!

I use http://www.lmcuttingtools.com/
They've always been spot on.
Will even resharpen hard edge BS blades - they come back very sharp but not always cutting straight as they have already had a battering first time round and can't be re-set as such, but still useful.

Latest posts

Back