Saw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
I recently inherited this well used Disston saw.

004-13.jpg

From the lettering on the brass back it looks to be a cast steel, Henry Disston & sons saw made in Philadelphia USA.

002-16.jpg

The insignia bolt is broken & i was wondering if it was possible to get a replacement. It wont be the end of the world if i can`t as the handle is a little on the small side for my delicate hand :---) so intend to make another handle, therefore i could go for 3 plain bolts, but it would be nice if i could replace the original.

003-18.jpg

Cheers.

Doug.

Edit. I`d also be interested, if possible, if any one could tell me how i`d go about finding the date of manufacture of this saw.

Many thanks for the link Andy, interesting site.

It would appear that my saw is a No5 from the early 1940`s :D

Cheers.

Doug.

Getting a replacement might be more difficult there than here (US) but is certainly doable. If you're interested I can ping one of my sources and see what cost would be if you cant find one. In fact I bet a handle would be available too unless you were set on making new/refurbing. Since its inherited it might be nice to refurb gently. Anyway, it seems shipping would be minimal for such a small item. PM me if youd like me to poke around over here for you.

Well I bought one of these of Fleabay recently too, but not sure if those front teeth are supposed to be that small, (ie blunt !!,)
Any opinions much appreciated, or good pointers to a good saw sharpening site, I think it's meant to cross -cut I Hope..
this is a great forum btw... =D>
Steve B.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,058
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,058
Disston saws --love 'em!

As to the broken 'badge' :: just look in charity shops / boot sales and such... they often turn up there... people don't know just how *good* they are / were!
I seem to recall that one was source was ranked better than t'other... was it that the Canadian ones were thought of as being better than the USA-made saws?

I have around 4 - 5 Disstons, but like their badges in place, too much, so 'fraid I can't let you have any of mine! :roll:

Original Henry Disston saws (made whilst he was still in England) are as rare as hens teeth, Henry Disston prior to & Sons, rare and regarded as the 'Prima Donnas' of hand saws (by some) Canadian Disston's were a result of the Philadelphia Disston Co. shipping the parts to Canada and selling them to the British Empire without incurring punitive levies, but never heard that they were ever considered superior to their USA cousins,being assembled from the same parts their symmetry would be the same...wouldn't it?...bosshogg

"Original Henry Disston saws (made whilst he was still in England) are as rare as hens teeth," is very true, especially as he was 14 years old when he emigrated with his father, and did his apprenticeship i n Philadelphia. Goodman, History of WW Tools" p151 says of Disston "Learning his trade with Spear & Jackson's of Sheffield...". This furphy has spread quite widely. Silkcox, "A place to live and work, The Henrey Disston Saw Works..." provides a good summary of Henry's early history. Of course, Henry who lived with his family in Derby, could have commuted to Sheffield to work for S & J?

SteveB43":375bt4bs said:
Well I bought one of these of Fleabay recently too, but not sure if those front teeth are supposed to be that small, (ie blunt !!,)
Any opinions much appreciated, or good pointers to a good saw sharpening site, I think it's meant to cross -cut I Hope..
this is a great forum btw... =D>
Steve B.
Nice saw.
From the photo, they look more like rip teeth to me although it can be re-cut (by judicious filing) into a crosscut. Re; the front teeth; it may be just wear/abuse, but I wonder if they are deliberately filed down progressively in order to make the cut easier to start. This is the sort of modification which was common in the days when every workman had individual preferences on how to sharpen saws.

I agree...I have seen many backsaws with a slight curve at the front and progressively fine teeth as you go forward from the main cutting section.

My backsaw was sharpened by Pedder (a member here and all round good guy) and the results were amazing...for those who missed my thread....these are the teeth now...check out how perfect they are!

DSC_0011.JPG

If you are like me and don't want an amateur job on such an important tool...he comes highly recommended!

Jim

The implication that progressively fine teeth at the front of the saw for easier cut starting sounds fine, except I and almost everyone I have seen, start with a draw back stroke from the last quarter of the saw blade, stroking forward, approx, a the first quarter of the blade. The thought off starting a push stroke, of any saw blade, at the front seems a far cry from my way of thinking...discuss

Cheers...bosshogg :)
You can't help a man who doesn't tell you what he wants (hammer)

I have a UK-made 12" brass-backed Disston #5. It is in near-new condition. Picked it up several years ago, which is from when this photo dates. I can check any details on it if you need ...

Disstonno5-1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek... When you say a UK made Disston, would you like to re-examine that. Either it's a USA (Philadelphia) made Disston, Canadian, or you have one of the rarest finds known to man.
Henry Disston left the UK in 1833, at the tender age of 14. Prior to his departure, he had started learning the trade of saw making in Sheffield England, but her there no known full back saws made in England by him that history depicts. Most likely the no.5 (depicting brass back) you have, is complete with the stamp - 'Henry Disston & Sons Philad'a USA' - on the brass back

"This is a No. 5 backsaw from the 1930's. Many of these turn up in England and Australia, often with a Toronto etch. Disston made saws in Canada from 1910 until the 1950's, allowing the company to avoid a tariff on saws sold in the British Commonwealth. Brass-backed saws were more popular in England than they were in the States, so Disston made a large portion of them to sell overseas. The saw above came from Philadelphia and remained in the US." coywright Disstonian Institute.

If I'm wrong you do indeed have something, either rare or more likely doctored...bosshogg :)
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. A.E. :|

bosshogg":2o3l96r0 said:
The implication that progressively fine teeth at the front of the saw for easier cut starting sounds fine, except I and almost everyone I have seen, start with a draw back stroke from the last quarter of the saw blade, stroking forward, approx, a the first quarter of the blade. The thought off starting a push stroke, of any saw blade, at the front seems a far cry from my way of thinking...discuss

Cheers...bosshogg :)

You need to discuss this with Tom then Boss....(and I quote)

Progressive Pitch Saws
Each tooth on these unique ripsaws is slightly larger than the last, so you can start your cut with the fine teeth at the toe, and progress to cut with the coarse, more aggressive teeth at the heel. They start easily and cut fast. Solid Brass chamfered backs, Curly Maple handles, polished Sweedish Steel blades tempered to Rc 52. Traditional split nut screws used on open handles.

Progressive Pitch Dovetail Saw: Each tooth is slightly less than .001" (.025mm) larger than the next. 16 ppi - 9 ppi Toe to Heel on a 9" (22.86cm) blade. Hand set and filed. Rip profile. Length, including handle, is 14" (35.56cm), with an overall height of 4¼" (10.79cm). Usable blade dimensions are 9" long by 1-5/8" (4.12cm) deep (.020" (.5mm) thick).

CLICK FOR WEBSITE

Discuss.... :wink:

Jim

I immediately noticed that these were for rip teeth & the progression by 1th" per tooth, heel to toe, not just the first inch or so.
Rip teeth will cut into the long grain almost without splintering the wood making the above scenario quite practical, more or less in every other scenario what I said previously still prevails, in my opinion... :)

bosshogg":xzmqstbo said:
I immediately noticed that these were for rip teeth & the progression by 1th" per tooth, heel to toe, not just the first inch or so.
Rip teeth will cut into the long grain almost without splintering the wood making the above scenario quite practical, more or less in every other scenario what I said previously still prevails, in my opinion... :)

Okie dokie..... :lol:

Perhaps them old folk did sawing differently in them there days...especially in the colonies...

I have seen quite a lot of saws where there are fine teeth at the toe and it is rounded slightly...I guess it must be some decoration or something.... :wink:

I'll wait until someone who knows a darn sight more about saws than I do comes along... :mrgreen:

Jim

bosshogg":zwv7jvqo said:
Derek... When you say a UK made Disston, would you like to re-examine that. Either it's a USA (Philadelphia) made Disston, Canadian, or you have one of the rarest finds known to man.
Henry Disston left the UK in 1833, at the tender age of 14. Prior to his departure, he had started learning the trade of saw making in Sheffield England, but her there no known full back saws made in England by him that history depicts. Most likely the no.5 (depicting brass back) you have, is complete with the stamp - 'Henry Disston & Sons Philad'a USA' - on the brass back

"This is a No. 5 backsaw from the 1930's. Many of these turn up in England and Australia, often with a Toronto etch. Disston made saws in Canada from 1910 until the 1950's, allowing the company to avoid a tariff on saws sold in the British Commonwealth. Brass-backed saws were more popular in England than they were in the States, so Disston made a large portion of them to sell overseas. The saw above came from Philadelphia and remained in the US." coywright Disstonian Institute.

If I'm wrong you do indeed have something, either rare or more likely doctored...bosshogg :)
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. A.E. :|

Hi Bosshogg

I purchased this saw brand new from the lad, Henry, just as he was boarding the liner Queen Adelaide I. I remember it as though it was yesterday. :)

Disston1.jpg

Disston3.jpg

Disston4.jpg

Obviously someone faked the Philadelphia stamps. They should read London.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back