Saw horse

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Flitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week Custard asked some Questions about a splayed legged tresel and as per usual the guys came back with some really helpful advice. But there was some of it would really baffle any one trying to grasp the concept. Like using trigonometry really? on a saw horse, I`LL use trig on a roof but not on a saw horse.
Jacob posted a link to his site with a easy peasy list of instructions to a graphical projection that had sparks coming from my head, I think I`LL take that with the pinch of salt that I hope it was intended.

So i got to thinking about any one taking up wood working for a hobby or any body else, with the up coming summer who might want to make a couple of tresels fasten a board on top and work in the garden or back yard.

This post is not to show what a cleaver dick I`am because I`am not I was taught how to do this as a apprentice and in the mean time shown many an apprentice how to do it.
Going back in time when you started work by a new yard the first thing the GF said to you was make a saw horse,the idea was to see if you could do it, it was a sort of unofficial trade test once you did it he would give you a job to do and leave you to it.

I put this in the project section but if it does not belong here the mods please move it.
So, plenty of pics in this because they really help to make things clear, I only use a rule to take two measurements because experience has taught me the less measurements you can make the better.

I`m old school so I just use hand tools I just think its quicker, the sliding bevel is set to 15 degrees and a piece of three x two is marked face side and face edge as per pic
saw horse 001.jpg

So 5 cuts = 4 legs at this stage all legs are the same I placed one leg on top of the other to show at this sage there are no left or right hands
saw horse 002.jpg

Mark off the first leg, the first leg becomes the story rod for all the others. the top of the tresel is 75m/m thick so I set the square at just a bit over this and sit the square on top of the splayed top of the leg and square the line down this line becomes the plumb cut in the joint at the top of the leg and the small line becomes the seat cut.
saw horse 008.jpg

Pick up the width of the birds mouth joint (small line)
saw horse 012.jpg

Pick up top of plumb line and mark top of leg, the same two gauges are used to mark all legs.

Attachments

• saw horse 001.jpg
    saw horse 001.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,963
  • saw horse 002.jpg
    saw horse 002.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,963
  • saw horse 008.jpg
    saw horse 008.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,962
  • saw horse 012.jpg
    saw horse 012.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,963
  • saw horse 013.jpg
    saw horse 013.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,962
  • saw horse 008.jpg
    saw horse 008.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,963
So back to the bench in the pic No1 both legs where the same now turn one so the top becomes the bottom and now you have left and Right hands.
saw horse 003.jpg

Fist tip, line up the bottom of both legs left and right hand.
saw horse 004.jpg

The first leg is used to transfer the mark of the seat cut, so any difference in the length of the leg is now at the top of the leg and will be trimmed of later.
saw horse 005.jpg

Cut Birds mouth. on the waist side.
saw horse 014.jpg

saw horse 015.jpg

saw horse 016.jpg
saw horse 016.jpg

Attachments

• saw horse 003.jpg
    saw horse 003.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,948
  • saw horse 004.jpg
    saw horse 004.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,948
  • saw horse 005.jpg
    saw horse 005.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,948
  • saw horse 014.jpg
    saw horse 014.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,948
  • saw horse 015.jpg
    saw horse 015.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,948
  • saw horse 016.jpg
    saw horse 016.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,948
Now with the bottom of the leg resting on the bench you can see that the square line is plumb and the seat line is level.
saw horse 017.jpg

Birds mouth joint for both left and right hand cut.
saw horse 006.jpg

The leg is now pressed against the top of the tresel and marked with a pencil and checked for 15 degrees.
saw horse 018.jpg

saw horse 019.jpg

saw horse 020.jpg

Sorry I forgot to add the second measurement of the saw horse the leg is 15 c/m from the end.

Attachments

• saw horse 017.jpg
    saw horse 017.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,933
  • saw horse 006.jpg
    saw horse 006.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,933
  • saw horse 018.jpg
    saw horse 018.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,933
  • saw horse 019.jpg
    saw horse 019.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,933
  • saw horse 020.jpg
    saw horse 020.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,933
With all the legs now marked and cut I set the gauge to register from the plumb cut and use this to mark the notch in the top of the tresel.
saw horse 022.jpg

Because we are using soft wood try to make the notch really tight so it will be a tight fit believe me it will knock in.
Cut the notch into sections and it makes it easier to chisel out.
saw horse 030.jpg

saw horse 023.jpg

saw horse 027.jpg

saw horse 028.jpg

Attachments

• saw horse 022.jpg
    saw horse 022.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,928
  • saw horse 030.jpg
    saw horse 030.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,928
  • saw horse 023.jpg
    saw horse 023.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,928
  • saw horse 027.jpg
    saw horse 027.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,928
  • saw horse 028.jpg
    saw horse 028.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,928
Now fit legs into notches and nail.
saw horse 032.jpg

Nice tight joints.
saw horse 035.jpg

Birds mouth (seat cut sitting nice and tight.
saw horse 036.jpg

Attachments

• saw horse 032.jpg
    saw horse 032.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,924
  • saw horse 035.jpg
    saw horse 035.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,924
  • saw horse 036.jpg
    saw horse 036.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,924
Now the brace to tie the legs together because we will be nailing close to the end of the wood here is an old tip.
Knock the head of the nail into the wood twice forming a small hole.
saw horse 037.jpg

Set the head of the nail in the hole and flatten the point with a hammer, now when the nail is driven near the end of the wood it wont split it.
saw horse 038.jpg

Ready to nail up.
saw horse 039.jpg

All fast no splits.
saw horse 040.jpg

Top of legs trimmed, one finished saw horse.
saw horse 041.jpg

Attachments

• saw horse 037.jpg
    saw horse 037.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,916
  • saw horse 038.jpg
    saw horse 038.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,916
  • saw horse 039.jpg
    saw horse 039.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,916
  • saw horse 040.jpg
    saw horse 040.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,916
  • saw horse 041.jpg
    saw horse 041.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,916
A nice write up and an efficient method. Very nice saw as well, any chance of a picture showing the handle?

Thanks for posting that up Billy, good to see the tried and tested ways of going about things.

Cheers, Paul

Billy Flitch":1lzkrnsb said:
Jacob posted a link to his site with a easy peasy list of instructions to a graphical projection that had sparks coming from my head, I think I`LL take that with the pinch of salt that I hope it was intended.......
It was straight from the book. It was taught this way. I did it on my course as a prelude to roofing geometry. But yes it does yer ed in!
In that other thread (I can't find it) someone had more or less replicated the "projections" by making a brass template (I think it was brass), which I thought was interesting.
And yes it's not the only way.

Biliphuster":ul2di9vg said:
A nice write up and an efficient method. Very nice saw as well, any chance of a picture showing the handle?

2 of the 3 saws shown have distinctly "custom" handles, very nice.

BugBear

Thanks for the post Billy. I made one about a year ago from a drawing I had. The joints fitted perfectly but I got the leg angles wrong - it looks like it's doing the splits!

John

Thanks guys for the thanks but as said it is not my idea it was given to me freely and I`m pleased to pass it on, but I must say it took my a site longer to make the posts than what it took to make the saw horse, hmm technology.
Some things come to me after I had made the post like check the height of the top of the horse because when you set the square the leg is on a splay and this makes the birds mouth deeper than what you think.
Take the arras of the legs before you nail the legs up especially on the bottom of the legs.

Both Biliphuster and bugbear ask about the saws I used three saw on the horse two panels cross cut and rip and a tenon cross cut I made the totes for the three saws.

The cross cut panel is made out of cherry with a BLO finish and shellack on top, I like the tup on the front and the ides of a big ram forcing its way just pleased me, I think better caver would have made a better job of it.
The rip is made out of Plum and has a thumb hook on the top this style was a for runner of the Disston saw with the thumb hole.

The cross cut tenon has a tote from spalted cherry with a wax finish.

Saws 002.jpg

Saws 003.jpg

Saws.jpg

Attachments

• Saws 002.jpg
    Saws 002.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,628
  • Saws 003.jpg
    Saws 003.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,628
  • Saws.jpg
    Saws.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,628
John I know what you are saying about the saw horse I`v seen a few like you describe and some that they looked like they where about to sit down on one end.
Angles have to be looked at from where they are coming from, when a carpenter says 15 degrees this is what he means.
Saws 005.jpg

Because he is talking about having the stock against the piece and the 15 degrees then comes on his blade but if you where to set this on a protractor you would be looking at 75 degrees or 105 degrees.
Saws 006.jpg

If you look at a chop saw, its just the same at 90 degrees the dial say 0 move it over to 15 degrees and that is the cut I`m talking about because the chop saw is working from the back of the stock.
Jacob raises a salient point there are many different ways to do the same job, as a apprentice I was taught that there are at least and I mean at least 3 different ways of doing the same job its up to you as the Carpenter to decide what method will serve you best.
Out side of that there is mathematical, geometry, and practical and I don't think that they are in conflict with each other just different tools.
Talking about tools I came across a German Carpenters square that they call an alpha square, its a square within a square and he will use it to mark out all his plumb and seat cuts his jacks and his valleys its just so simple that its pure genius marked out to .25 of a degree. Take a look.
Saws 007.jpg

Saws 008.jpg

Saws 009.jpg

Attachments

• Saws 005.jpg
    Saws 005.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 382
  • Saws 006.jpg
    Saws 006.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 382
  • Saws 007.jpg
    Saws 007.jpg