Saw Blade Stop using sensors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the trouble is sensors fail sometimes (as anyone who drives a car with electronic sensors can report)

so whiole this is a good invention in itself i could forsee problems with people becoming sloppy because of it then getting greviously injured when sensor failed.

better in my view to keep your hands (and other apendages) away from the blade at all times

Bloody hell. That made me wince. That bloke has CONFIDENCE in his invention.
Fair play, but as has been said, I wouldn't want to rely on it, which, I think some may, leading to complacency with this and other tools in the shop.
It's great but no substitute for using the saw properly, IMHO.

Adam.

I do agree that it's not a substitute for common sense but there is always a time where that extra bit of safety is very much needed.
I doubt many people on here could honestly say that there have not been times were they have done something and thought that was close, be that chiselling that hard to reach corner and the chisel coming close to inbedding in your palm or having a drill bite down on a hidden screw and suddenly pull on your wrist.
I recall a post on here about when people come into your workshop and your in the middle of using a power tool and surprising you.
If this was an option on a saw then I would definitely consider it. I always treat all tools with respect as I'm fully aware of what a blade spinning at 5,000 Rpm will do to bone and anything else it gets it's it's teeth into.

And yes he is mad to put his hand into the blade.

I've seen this before. It's a great invention. The thing that bothers me is what happens when the blade gets clogged/coated with wood dust? Not sure if it's just my saw blade, but when I'm cutting MDF I've noticed a slight build up of dust on and around the teeth. If this system works on some sort of current drop detection, would the wood dust act as an insulator? Also, what if you haven't just spent the previous minutes with your hand in a box of water? Is it as effective?

To be totally convinced, i'd want to see the guy cover his dry hands in saw dust and shove them in the path of the blade at 'normal' speeds. I'm sure it would probably stop, just having munched through a good few mm of his fingers first. Presumably this would be significantly less damage than a 'regular' saw.

Good idea tho.

pren":1kwaa89m said:
I've seen this before. It's a great invention. The thing that bothers me is what happens when the blade gets clogged/coated with wood dust? Not sure if it's just my saw blade, but when I'm cutting MDF I've noticed a slight build up of dust on and around the teeth. If this system works on some sort of current drop detection, would the wood dust act as an insulator? Also, what if you haven't just spent the previous minutes with your hand in a box of water? Is it as effective?

To be totally convinced, i'd want to see the guy cover his dry hands in saw dust and shove them in the path of the blade at 'normal' speeds. I'm sure it would probably stop, just having munched through a good few mm of his fingers first. Presumably this would be significantly less damage than a 'regular' saw.

Good idea tho.

IIRC it's some sort of capacitance measuring device.

I don't see it as something to rely on but rather as something that is there if something goes mega wrong - which could happen. I suppose it's just a case of trying to cover all eventualities.

To make it really useful it would have to be able to be retro fitted to saws.

ADDED:
at $1599 their contractor saw ain't exactly cheap.

Latest posts

Back