Sauno wood kiln or dehumidifier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has one of these http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Sauno-Wood-Kiln.html and if so what you think of the timber it produces.

Kiln dried timber always seems to have had the life sucked out of it to me, and also tears out more easily than air dried timber in my experience (or am I imaging that?).

So I'm wondering if the steam and the relatively low temperature used by the Sauno thing will produce timber which is more similar in character to air dried than a normal kiln would?

Would also be interested to hear from anyone who uses a dehumidifier kiln about their experiences with that.

Cheers

Marcus.

marcus":1nvvv65v said:
Kiln dried timber always seems to have had the life sucked out of it to me, and also tears out more easily than air dried timber in my experience (or am I imaging that?).

I can't comment on the kiln you mention, but would agree that badly kilned timber is fit for nothing but keeping the 'shop warm in bitter weather. When ever possible, I try and buy air dried timber which is just so much sweeter to work with under an edge tool. It takes a bit longer though, to condition it (elm :evil: ) to the point where it can be used for furniture making projects - Rob

Latest posts

Back