Sat Nav Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the tomtom 720 myself which is great but it might be going on the bay if the iphone app is as good as everyone expects it to be.
Neil

I used TomTom for years on my PDA and it was very good, but I recently bought SWMBO a Garmin 265WT and have been suitably impressed - not as many configurable options as the TomTom, but easier to use for someone who doesn't want to @rse about with it all day and it has a traffic monitor built in that picks up traffic reports and informs you of delays along your route - it also displays the speed limit of the road you're on - quite useful around us where the pippers seem intent on changing it as frequently as possible with as little notice as possible!

I've got a fairly old TT which after a few teething troubles, has provided sterling service over the last few years, particularly in navigating through Europe. Punch the address for the middle of Switzerland and it took us straight there. Can't comment on the newer versions, but they've no doubt updated them. TT recommended...and I like Janie :) - Rob

Mark Hancock":25jrv1i0 said:
Shultzy":25jrv1i0 said:
Mark, can't you open the satnav and fix the plug?

I did try that but couldn't get it to make the connection.

If I'd had the time I would have tried to get it repaired by someone more competant than me but I need it for this weekend. When I get chance I'll look into seeing if it can be repaired. Does anyone know of such a service around the Worcester area?

I've now got a replacement. Thanks again for the responses.

Mark...I have a bit more time now and could take a look at it for you if you wanted? By the by, there was a thread on another forum ranting about the TomTom and inaccuracies in its' directions! Bit too late for that as far as you're concerned, I guess.

We call her Sonya because she Get Sonya Nerves... :oops:

I have just replaced my Garmin Streetpilot III with a Garmin Nuvi 1370T

I bought the Streetpilot about 10years ago in the States for the princely sum of £600 (they were £1200 in the UK at that time) How prices have dropped.
It still works fine and has the facility to plan your route on a PC and then transfer to the unit. No touch screen and very bulky but has worked well over the years. The map software updates cost about £40 to £75 depending on the state of the pound.
My new one is very portable and has traffic, hands free, cameras and covers both Europe and North America. Sadly the maps are not compatible with the Streetpilots. A lifetime of updates costs £90 for the Nuvi.
I downloaded "City Explore" for Toronto for about £6 which is proving very useful as it has a pedestrian facility. Lee Valley Tools in King Street is about 10 mins away!!!!

Rod (We call her Gerty) :)

RogerS":11dibj40 said:
Mark Hancock":11dibj40 said:
Shultzy":11dibj40 said:
Mark, can't you open the satnav and fix the plug?

I did try that but couldn't get it to make the connection.

If I'd had the time I would have tried to get it repaired by someone more competent than me but I need it for this weekend. When I get chance I'll look into seeing if it can be repaired. Does anyone know of such a service around the Worcester area?

I've now got a replacement. Thanks again for the responses.

Mark...I have a bit more time now and could take a look at it for you if you wanted? By the by, there was a thread on another forum ranting about the TomTom and inaccuracies in its' directions! Bit too late for that as far as you're concerned, I guess.

Roger
Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that when I get a bit of free time. It seems such a waste just to dump the old one simply because the plug detached itself from the circuit board.

I believe all Sat Navs have inaccuracies in their directions so I've always used them in conjunction with a map and a good sense of direction.

A word of warning to anyone getting the new Tomtom One with IQ routing which I got. Don't do the update from Tomtom Home straight away. I did this as per the instructions only to find it corrupted the software on the Sat Nav so that it won't start at all. I spent nearly 6 hours downloading the update, backing up to the computer and trying restore before getting a replacement from Halfords the day after I had bought it. It appears that it has happened to others so I'm not going anywhere near the computer with it for at least a month!

Back