Sat Nav and TMC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've finally got the correct disk for my factory-fitted satnav, which includes the ability to handle TMC data (for dynamically routing around traffic jams, road closures, etc.). In most of Europe, the provision of this traffic data is a free service, but in the UK it isn't, although the data is transmitted over the Classic FM frequency (and a royalty from selling the disks goes to Classic FM for the use of their frequency, as I understand it).

Now, with the new disk, when I go into "Setup" on the satnav, I've at last got the option of "Dynamic Route" (which was greyed out before, so I know that the system recognises both the disk and confirms the ability to handle TMC data).

The problem is that neither the car manufacturer, nor TeleData (disk supplier) agree on how the system actually works in practice. One says that I must tune the radio to Classic FM in order to receive the data, the other just hasn't got a clue.

The display shows "TMC" with the dynamic link symbol, but does anyone actually know the answer? Do I need to tune to Classic FM, or will the system pluck the frequency it wants from all that it is receiving?

If it doesn't need to be tuned in to Classic FM for the TMC to function, I'm assuming that I can listen to anything else, or a CD, without affect the function, is that so?

TIA! :)

Ray.

Ray,
I have a Volvo with factory fitted satnav. My last software update provides me with Traffic info whether or not the radio is on. The unit may be wired to the radio in some way for all I know but I am not forced to have any particular channel playing.

Good news, Ray. Just go for a quick spin around the M25...that should test it out for you! Unless, that is, you have an 8-track fitted to your radio in which case you are well and truly..... :wink:

After some further research, it turns out that the kit has a separate tuner that receives the TMC broadcasts, so as long as I've got the TMC disk in, it'll work regardless of what I'm listening to. The upgraded disk also includes full postcode searches and all sorts of other useful stuff, so it was a worthwhile improvement. :)

Ray.

Back