sash cramps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stocksy27

Established Member
Reaction score
what are people using for clamping doors up? I've used all sorts of sash cramps and always go back to the record t-bar ones as these seem to just work so good and get joints up nice and tight and virtually unbreakable? any other recommendations

1 pair of record bar sash cramps per rail so either side of the tenon, just leave enough room to bang the wedges in.

Even though it may be swimming against the tide, the Rutland ones I got at Christmas are pretty good for the price. Ultimately not as good as my record ones, but the minor differences do not justify the price hike for the records.

Terry.

The old fashioned sash cramps here, cause they are the only things I have big enough. Must get some more modern Bessey type then I can hang those heavy things on the wall, :)

biskit":2c5znoau said:
The old fashioned sash cramps here, cause they are the only things I have big enough. Must get some more modern Bessey type then I can hang those heavy things on the wall, :)

Besseys are heavier than they look :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bessey's may have some advantages with sheet goods and carcass furniture, but IMO for joinery and framed furniture work then traditional sash cramps have never been bettered. And as Terry pointed out, the Rutlands sash cramps are fantastic value for money (especially when they're on special offer), I've heard they're actually made in the same factory as the Record ones and to the same spec.

At £90 I'll keep an eye on them, for £60 I'd buy them on principle!

I always wish I had more 12"/18" clamps - I never tend to buy the things as they're not often that much cheaper than full size clamps, but oh so useful at times...

rafezetter":244bb6lw said:
transatlantic":244bb6lw said:
will1983":244bb6lw said:

Funny - they were on offer a few weeks ago for £60. Oh Rutlands

Are you sure the offe wasn't for the plain bar style instead of T bar? they are @ £69.99 atm

The ones I was referring to we're the plain bar ones, not the T-bar, so 6 for £69.95. Not quite the same spec as the records, three main differences:
- the bar itself is slightly narrower than the records
- the bottom clamp head is attached on a cable not chain (I plan to change them over for chains as they have a tendency to pull the pin out if you are not careful)
- the bases they sit on when horizontal are not quite as flat as the records, but once they are clamping they are fine

Hope that helps,
Terry.

Back