Sash clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to pick up some sash clamps, I think the 900mm size should serve me well. My plan is to extend them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMnAU9RLU0M) if I need them longer.

It looks like there are 2 main types. The Aluminium type and the steel type.

For reference, these are the two I'm looking at. I'm wanting to pick up at leas t 6, depending on which I go for.

(Aluminium) Sash Clamp 36" - http://www.screwfix.com/p/sash-clamp-36/53524 (£10.99)
(Steel) Forge Steel Sash Clamp 36" - http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-s ... p-36/63885 (£16.99)

They seem to be of a very different construction.

- Steel bar verse aluminium bar
- quick release verse pin/lock

I don't really care about the latter. But should I be worried about the aluminium bar? .. is the extra cost justified?

Annoyingly, Rutlands have these http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... dk135pack6. Which seem to be great value. But my projects will rarely be that big and I feel they'll be inconvenient to use at that size

If the Rutlands ones are too big but otherwise suit you, just cut them down to whatever length you require. I wouldn't though!

I ahem been on a major clamp hunt in recent weeks. Bought a number of old Record ex eBay (and been pleased but they are not cheap), plus some Bessey and some Bessey clones. Aluminium is OK for light duty, but for robustness I prefer steel. Depends what you want to clamp really.

I have some of the aluminium ones and really like them,but there is a proviso-they don't have much of a range of movement with such a comparatively short threaded section.If you only need to apply gluing pressure to join a couple of pieces of edging to a door or top they are great.If you need to draw mortise and tenons together with them you may run out of travel.As for extending them-its not easy to make the recesses for the locking triggers.

The steel alternatives are a bit more expensive and they will hurt a bit more if you drop one on your foot.On the other hand,they have a larger range of movement and can be bolted side by side to extend them.Maybe if you would like six you could get three of each to see which suits you best.

I have the forge steel ones in 36 inch and they are not bad at all for general use. I would say however that i have the record sash clamps and they are considerably better. I make oak doors th through mortises, i would struggle with the forge steel ones. I do use them as extra clamps once everything is together.

Having said that, the forge steel are very good for a lot of other jobs.

Not tried the cheaper ones so can't comment on those.

Nick

This all depends on the intended use, I bought quite a few aluminium ones when I built my bench 6 x 36" and 2 x 48", I already had 2 old record T section clamps that are 5ft long (my father in law gave me them, he bought them 2nd hand in the 70's). I find that the metal ones are far too heavy to swinging about, they would come in real handy if I made church doors or draw bridges something like that, they do apply an amazing amount of force though (too much, too easily for my liking). For the stuff I make and am likely to make the aluminium ones will serve me fine. The bars will bend if you apply too much pressure though, once I found that out (the hard way when clamping my bench top!) I put a wooden insert in to them all ala Paul Sellers recommendation, they now feel much more sturdy and less flexible.

Matt

I have used Paramo Sash clamp heads (bought some time ago from Tilgear) to make sash clamps but using Speedframe (1 inch square section steel tube) that I had saved from a skip rather than timber.

I read on another thread that the type of clamp heads with slots rather than holes for the pins are better and I would certainly agree with that.

If I was doing it again, I would buy 2“ x 1” section aluminium tube - probably from Aluminium Warehouse. The steel tube is so heavy it makes the clamps tedious to handle.

MCB

MCB":1xer3l0z said:
I have used Paramo Sash clamp heads (bought some time ago from Tilgear) to make sash clamps but using Speedframe (1 inch square section steel tube) that I had saved from a skip rather than timber.

I read on another thread that the type of clamp heads with slots rather than holes for the pins are better and I would certainly agree with that.

If I was doing it again, I would buy 2“ x 1” section aluminium tube - probably from Aluminium Warehouse. The steel tube is so heavy it makes the clamps tedious to handle.

MCB

This sounds like an excellent idea, the combined cost of the heads on their own and 2x 2500mm x25mm x 50mm bars of ali from ali w/house is £60 inc postage.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk...ction_-_Alunminum_Warehouse/product_info.html

With 50mm deep ali bar though could you not drill an elongated sloping hole to acheive the same effect of making sure the head bases go flat to the bar.

Using the bars also gives you both a flat inside base to rest work on like a Tbar clamp and clamps that will stay upright.

rafezetter":2l6ug29m said:
MCB":2l6ug29m said:

MCB

This sounds like an excellent idea, the combined cost of the heads on their own and 2x 2500mm x25mm x 50mm bars of ali from ali w/house is £60 inc postage.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk...ction_-_Alunminum_Warehouse/product_info.html

With 50mm deep ali bar though could you not drill an elongated sloping hole to acheive the same effect of making sure the head bases go flat to the bar.

Using the bars also gives you both a flat inside base to rest work on like a Tbar clamp and clamps that will stay upright.

One of the benefits of a sloping hole in the clamp head is that the clamp will still fit if the hole is drilled in NOT exactly the right place!

I suggest that drilling a series of slotted holes would be very tedious (unless you have a way of cutting them! My drill bits only make round holes!!)

I also suggest that you consider 1“ x 2” Aluminium tube rather than 25 x 50 mm as it's a bit cheaper for almost exactly the same thing.

I think I would use 3mm thick rather than 16 swg for the additional rigidity. You might also like to consider having them cut the tube to the size that you need. Finally, consider end caps.

Aluminium Warehouse is local as far as I'm concerned and that saves the hefty delivery cost.

MCB

Check out paul Seller's website re how he strengthens the Aluminium type - I have done it and they work very well.

I can't see the Screwfix aluminium ones you link to as the site keeps on asking me to log in, but if they're the generic ones that you see everywhere now, with a hollow extruded 'box girder', they won't be as strong as any based on a steel bar.

Despite the idea floated by pros all the time it seems, that you shouldn't ever have to apply that much clamping pressure that's just unrealistic in real-world use in my opinion. Sometimes you will want or need to clamp very very hard, and I wouldn't use the aluminium type without reinforcing them as they have been known to buckle. But their strength is quite adequate once reinforced with timber being friction-fit inside, as per Paul Sellers, and they remain relatively lightweight. Plus they're without the problem of the bar reacting to PVA-type glues and possibly causing dark stains on the workpiece.

transatlantic":8x4g5lob said:
Annoyingly, Rutlands have these http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... dk135pack6. Which seem to be great value. But my projects will rarely be that big and I feel they'll be inconvenient to use at that size
Had you thought about buying them for the astonishing value and hacksawing some or all of them down to the length you prefer? I think what I'd do if I were in the UK is buy a set and cut four down to 900-1,000mm.

I took a trip down to ToolStation to compare their aluminium clamps against the steel ones, and I'm glad I did. The Aluminium ones felt very flimpsy in construction. Not just the bar itself, but the screwing mechanism. No comparison in my opinion for the few quid difference. Will definately be going for the steel ones.

Think I'll be picking them up rfrom MP direct though. Hope they're the same ones

£9.66 for the 900mm http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p38126?table=no

edit : or these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-900mm-CAS ... SwcBhWZaif

Back