Sash clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T Bar are the best of the ones they sell but be aware that Silverline are a budget brand and you could find the faces are not machined level and square. A clamp that won't pull up square can ruin your work
If you are prepared to do some fettling then Silverline T bar could be a good buy otherwise look for Record, Woden or best quality, Bessey but at a price
Avoid the Dakota branded Bessey copies based on what I have read.

Pipe clamp heads on galzanised steel pipes are another favourite of mine. Again the faces can need fettling.
Handy for expansion clamping too.

I bought 4 of these last year http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwo...rs-in-woodworking-t-bar-clamps-dakota+m_dk136 and although they are nice and solid they are fairly useless in a lot of cases because the clamp head lifts 4 or 5mm as you give it the final tighten, so if you were relying on the thing being clamped staying flat against the t-bar that isn't what you get. Worth checking before you buy if you want to use them for edge-joining boards as I did.

Cheers everyone. I've attached a project i'll being doing but will need to buy the following on the list

Sash clamps
Panel saw
Bench Plane

Budget is crucial so any recommendations for the above would be great.

Also it shows 5 clamps, do i really need that many?

Attachments

• Pages from Woodwork - A Step-by-Step Photographic Guide - DK (2010)_Page_1.jpg
    Pages from Woodwork - A Step-by-Step Photographic Guide - DK (2010)_Page_1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Pages from Woodwork - A Step-by-Step Photographic Guide - DK (2010)_Page_2.jpg
    Pages from Woodwork - A Step-by-Step Photographic Guide - DK (2010)_Page_2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 298
IME parallel clamps will be better than sash clamps for that, for the reason I gave in my post above. And I think you could get away with a minimum of 2.
Although you don't need the length now it's worth buying them 4ft long, then they will cover you for future projects.

pcb1962":37btl3l5 said:
IME parallel clamps will be better than sash clamps for that, for the reason I gave in my post above. And I think you could get away with a minimum of 2.
Although you don't need the length now it's worth buying them 4ft long, then they will cover you for future projects.

IME parallel clamps - where would i get them from?

pcb1962":3hpwjm7c said:
paul24dual":3hpwjm7c said:
IME parallel clamps - where would i get them from?

Sorry, IME = "In my experience", not a brand of clamp :D
These are the type of thing I mean http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bessey-UK60-60cm-Uniklamp-Capacity/dp/B000JLSNRW a clamp whose faces stay parallel to each other and square to the track as you tighten it

Would two of those be ok (instead of the 5 sash clamps shown in the project?) are there any cheaper alternatives available also?

Has anyone used the sash cramps from Rutland's? The ones 'made in the same factory as the leading brand'? Just wondered if they are as good as record 135's, 'cause if they are you might be as well getting half a dozen of them, nearly always on sale for a reasonable £69.95

The Rutlands sash cramps come off the same production line as the Record ones, when Rutlands have a deal on them they're cracking value.

Otto":9w9473ho said:
Has anyone used the sash cramps from Rutland's? The ones 'made in the same factory as the leading brand'? Just wondered if they are as good as record 135's, 'cause if they are you might be as well getting half a dozen of them, nearly always on sale for a reasonable £69.95

I bought a pack of 6 and you get what you pay for ,poor quality copies that have heads out of square and dont come together even.Also managed to break one after about a weeks use. They may be from the same factory as the leading brand but are probably from the reject pile .

DSC_0412_zpsa2f82619.jpg

DSC_0414_zpscb031117.jpg

DSC_0413_zps25284bca.jpg

There are some things i like about them though the bars are plated and the pin has a steel cable instead of a chain.
I won't e buying anymore from Rutland s had a few things from them now that are more like seconds.
Cheers Bern :D

If you really want to save money, you can make something from wood, use wedges or twisted string (like in bow saw) to apply the pressure

Cheaper than Besseys and probably better too.

Okay, maybe it's me and my arthritic wrists that can't tighten up the Besseys! But I have some and they are not very 'crampy'... :?

Paul, on YouTube you will find a couple of videos by Peter Parfitt about different types of clamps, this may be useful to watch, although all his clamps are expensive ones.

paul24dual":3c49108t said:
Excellent advise. Do i really need 5 sash clamps as shown in the project?

It is normal to clamp from one side at regular intervals and then turn over and fit clamps in between to keep the job flat. As the clamps tend to be sold in even numbers you could possibly get away with a set of 4.

Don't over tighten. The object is not to squeeze out all the glue from the joint but just to hold it in place whilst the glue dries.

Back