Sash clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might get away with just three clamps if your joints are good. Another option may be to use sliding wedges on a board which would considerably reduce your outlay.

Chris

I use the irwin clamp heads as already mentioned, they are almost as good as the original record ones that have been discontinued, but pretty good. You can pick them up for around £15 a set.
The trick I use is to buy some mild steel 2" x 1" @ 1.5mm thick steel square tube from a local fabricator or online. You can have infinite lengths and swap and change the heads as you please. You have to drill out the holes down the tube but they are really strong, no bending. Also its a good way to clamp up on a bench top as they are all the same height. Cheers

Benchwayze":2bi593ou said:
Cheaper than Besseys and probably better too.

Okay, maybe it's me and my arthritic wrists that can't tighten up the Besseys! But I have some and they are not very 'crampy'... :?

That's interesting, I went the Bessey route about twenty years ago and ditched my Record sash cramps as old fashioned. But recently I've been using sash cramps more and more. Maybe my Besseys are just getting clapped out, but in the middle of a complex glue up they have developed the habit of only achieving purchase either right at the end of their travel or not at all!

Yes, sash cramps are fiddly and high maintenance, for example unless the threads are kept lightly oiled and rust free they'll only deliver about half their potential cramping force. But if you've taken the time to make the appropriate cramping blocks and supports for a job then it's very reassuring to see it all come together at the glue up with traditional sash cramps.

I have eight of the Besseys. Lengths 30" and 48". I thought they'd be great, but I use the sash cramps I bought from Axy far more. The only drawback with those is the thread isn't 'Acme'. like my trusty old Records. But they do pull a job together very satisfactorily. I'm probably going to buy another four. :mrgreen:

Back