Sandpaper Storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
After the successful WIP thread of my rustic workbench build I feel another project coming on. I need a storage solution for my sheets of sandpaper. At the moment they're either in a plastic bag or shoved into an already full drawer. So, a storage unit is the next job to tackle.

I asked the oracle for ideas (Googled it!) and this is what I found...

This is what I shall attempt. The sides have slots routed for the shelves to slide in and out.

idea.jpg

This is a bigger version...

idea2.jpg

I will go with the smaller more compact version though as I will mount it to the wall.
I will use some 12mm MDF for the unit and possibly 9mm MDF for the shelves.

I will be starting this project this weekend and I'll keep regular updates into this thread so you can all see my progress.

I'm off to do a sketchup plan now, but first...

mug.jpg

Yes, I like that idea. Might build one after the new workshop reopening (I'm having to put the shop into mothballs for a while). Building up to going out to the 'shop in a minute, but tea and toast first I think.

Looks interesting, Lee. Do you use rolls of abrasive paper often? I only ask because, if you're mounting this one on the wall then, you could add a length of large dowel below to hold several rolls. The top would also make a good space for storing glues and things! :)

hey Olly, I dont use rolls I only have sheets.

I'm gonna use the top to store sanding blocks and pads and some home made sanding sticks etc.

Lee J":35gwo4jq said:
I'm gonna use the top to store sanding blocks and pads and some home made sanding sticks etc.

Surely with the top should have a built in coaster, given the amount of tea drinking going on!? :lol:

Weirwolf":21xzgz3w said:
Lee J":21xzgz3w said:

Surely with the top should have a built in coaster, given the amount of tea drinking going on!? :lol:

top idea! tea mug coaster will be incorporated into the design.

thanks

My idea is quite simple really, just got a cupboard, several boxes of sander belts a pile of abranet discs, and another of small sheets, wet and dry and other sanding sheets all over the place a whole string of belts on a long dowl near the roof, it all gives me an interesting time when I want something specific.
Derek.

Back