Sanding!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Two things really
1,What is a good alternatvie to sanding by hand.
I seem to be getting too much pain in my fingers,old age :roll:
I know you can power sand using your drill,but what about smaller bowls,what would be best to use on those :?: :!:

2,What type of sandpaper,glass paper,aluminium oxide,or what ever it's called today do you find good.
I've got about 4 different makes and they all seem to wear down as soon as i touch the wood.I bought 2 rolls of the AO from Screwfix. :roll:
The best one i've got is what i had with my 1/2 sheet Bosch sander,but that as been used up now.
Paul.J.

Hi Paul,

The foam backed disc pads for power sanding can always be held in your hand instead of the drill. This gives the control of hand sanding but makes the paper much easier to hold and manipulate.

Bob

Try abranet it is really good, it is a mesh abrasive and does not clog and lasts well.

When I don't want to hand sand I use a sandmaster and power sanding depending on the piece I am working on.

On smaller stuff, a piece of dowel with a split in the end (insert edge of abrasive and wrap around) can save the fingers...

Personally I like to use hand held abrasives... if your fingers are getting too hot then so is the wood... leading to surface checks (minute cracks that spoil the appearance)

Oldsoke wrote
if your fingers are getting too hot then so is the wood...
Thanks Graham.
It's not that my fingers are getting hot,i do use thick foam pads of various shapes and sizes,it's that they start aching and locking up a bit like cramp i suppose,but with pain :(
Paul.J.

I have several pairs of locking forceps that I use when sanding inside hollow forms. You could using them for general sanding. Don't be tempted to put your fingers in the holes in the handle though - I'd hate to think what would happen to them if you lost concentration and had a catch!

As well as power sanding you could passive sanding - the sanding head is free to rotate in a bearing if you apply the correct part of the sanding disc.
Sorby sell a passive sanding tool but I made my own using an old skate bearing and a head from a grip-a-disc (I think that's what it's called) system.

I use a variety of abrasive papers -
grip-a-disc foam backed pads for power/passive sanding 80-320 grit,
the Hegner sanding pads and velcro-backed paper also for power.passive sanding 120-1200 grit,
unknown make on rolls - about 1.5cm wide, cloth backed. Bought from John Boddys. 80-400 grit,
wet-and-dry from Axminster for grits 600 - 2500,
Abranet occaisionally

The Abranet works well but I only had a small sample pack. The only down side for me was that I couldn't write on the back of each piece what grade it was, so when pieces got mixed up I sometimes couldn't tell them apart.

The grip-a-disc pads probably last the longest. The pads are slightly more expensive but given their longevity they probably work out the same. I only bought the system as it was the only one the local shop had. Grits are in the range 80-320.

The Hegner pads don't last quite as long as the grip-a-disc. There are several different shapes and sizes of heads to use. They aren't as durable as the grip-a-disc head but the cloth/velcro backed abrasive is slightly cheaper. They tend to clog a little faster.

The rolls of cloth backed are excellent for spindle work and it lasts well with the cloth backing.

The wet-and-dry is used on anything that I want a super fine finish on (like pens and jewelery). I also use it to apply finishing oil.

You mention finishing small bowls - I don't how small you mean but the grip-a-disc is only about 3cm and I have a second one that I trimmed down to about 1.5. Hegner also have a head that's about that size.

I wouldn't want to pick just a single one out of what I have as on each piece I tend to use more than one.

Hope that helps

Duncan

Also note that Grip-A-Disc sell the scrap bits of foam backed abrasive left over from stamping out the discs.

These are very handy for hand finishing in tight places and the foam backing makes them finger end friendly.

Paul.J":3hyomvqf said:
Thanks Graham.
It's not that my fingers are getting hot,i do use thick foam pads of various shapes and sizes,it's that they start aching and locking up a bit like cramp i suppose,but with pain :(
Paul.J.

I have the same problem.. it's called OA&RD... no known cure.... :wink:

Thanks everyone.
I was looking at the Sorby sander.Is it any good :?:
Graham i get OA if you see what i mean,i don't mean i am old, but whats RD :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":28jnq4kw said:
I was looking at the Sorby sander.Is it any good :?:
Paul.J.

See This Thread

I still use the sorby, but it is not a patch on the Grip-a-disc bearing mounted head.

The sorby requires much more 'abrasive grip' to rotate the head unless you keep it well lubricated, then you have the problem of black oil spin-off.

I keep it for the odd occasion when nothing but an 80 grit tool will hack it.

Thanks Chas/CTB.
Chas looks like the gripa one seems to be the best one.
I was sanding a bowl again today,me fingers just had enough,couldn't finish it off properly,so i've gotta do something :roll:
Paul.J.

Back