Sanding discs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdt3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just built myself a bench sander, (almost), 300mm. Just about to get some sanding discs and don't really want to be swapping grits all the time. 120 grit is classed as fine at Machine Mart and I'm thinking that is coarse enough. The other grits are 80 and 40. Any thoughts from people with experience of these machines?

Thanks

Drew

120 on a disc sander can be quite aggressive so I would have thought that was sufficient.
As with all work, it depends what you will be making but just remember the different speed of the disc near the centre and at the outside edge will have a marked effect on what you're sanding!

I've just got some velcro discs and a backing to put on mine as I found removing sticky back ones a faff

I suppose the best answer is that it depends on what you are doing.If you need to true up mitre joints in 3X3 posts it will take an eternity with 120 grit and conversely if you make five inch square jewellery boxes,you definitely don't want 40 grit.I second the recommendation for velcro backed discs and you can soon change to the best disc for the job.

Cheers guys for all the usefull advice. On reflection I think for what I shall be making 120 will probably be as aggressive as I need. I like the idea of the Velcro backed discs. Do you buy the backing or purchase a sheet and cut to size?

Latest posts

Back