sander for fast sanding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackal

Wallybois Woodworking on YouTube
Reaction score
Hi

At present I am usind a 4 1/2" grinder with a velcro pad which works well for the job at hand but bloomin dangerous and dust is horrendous but it is tempting to use as very fast.

Is there a way to collect the dust or is they another machine built for the job which is fast for flat surface sanding such as t@g doors ect.

I must sort a better way before I have a accident other than the odd sanded hand.

really appreciate any sanding advise or your prefered methods :mrgreen:

for rough to smooth work the festool is the best rotex 150! nice sander if you need it to eat through wood, expensive tho
regards rick

I think you may want to look at the Festool RAS and ROTEX offerings. The RAS is probably much the same as the angle grinder approach, but the Rotex is efficient, with good dustcollection and also the ability to end with a better finish. I have a 125mm. one and it sure eats away wood at the coarse setting...
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HZwqKcvKx0
Or do a search for Festool Rotex

The RAS 115 actually has *some* dust collection, which considering what it does, is quite a surprise; very aggressive though, so easy to make mistakes quickly - DAMHIKT. The Rotex is much more controlled (though the smaller RO125 is a bit more jittery) and has the option of finer sanding as well - quite heavy sanders though, so not much fun to use vertically for long periods. The Festool ETS150/5 is a nice sander - 5mm stroke, so can be quite aggressive, but equally happy on fine surface sanding with the right grits.

I had a Metabo dual-orbit before that (the older 400-SXE) which I was fairly happy with - dust collection was pretty good, and I think the current version (450 SXE??) is well regarded; there are a few members here who have them, I'm sure they'll chime in...

HTH Pete

Thanks for the advice I'm looking at them now but yes pricey. Could I get a guard with a dust port if available got to try something though as my workspace is thick with dust and my home made dust extractor can't cope. :(

Some OEMs make shrouds for their specific models of grinders, or you can get a third-party one-size-fits-all dust shroud, but they're pricey, and you have no real idea how effective they are - unless someone here's used one??

Either way, dust collection on a grinder seems to be something of an afterthought/lashup - I'd put that kind of money into a decent sander with dust collection designed in from the start, personally...

Cheers, Pete

tim burr":3dgw671i said:
How about a belt sander instead of random orbit if you're looking to hog off a decent amount of material?

Got a Hitachi belt sander but it not really what Im after. I have been using a angle grinder as it is easy to handle but it is the dust Im having trouble with as after a session I sneeze and pebble dash the nice french stone work in my work shop :oops:

Been looking again at the Rotex 125mm but not sure if it is a DA or like my grinder. Did notice the RPM is much lower so better for the disks. Will they accept standard pads?

jackal":2ljzq12g said:
Been looking again at the Rotex 125mm but not sure if it is a DA or like my grinder. Did notice the RPM is much lower so better for the disks. Will they accept standard pads?
Festool sanders have a unique hole pattern, so you need to use Festool abrasives - which are excellent, and hard-wearing, but not cheap. Your grinder with a Velcro pad is effectively a 'spinning disc' sander - the equivalent Festool is the RAS 115, as mentioned above. The Rotex is both a regular random orbital sander ("eccentric sander") and a gear driven sander for more aggressive sanding; different animal altogether from a 'spinning disc' sander.

HTH Pete

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted but I do the odd bit of sanding with a 4 1/2 disk and its not something that should be done indoors, way too much dust made way to quickly to deal with.

I do when possibble or when the wife has the washing out! I am getting a bit confused to what would be the best choice and a suitable vac that doesn't ratt(le my ears.

jackal":kqc67807 said:
I do when possibble or when the wife has the washing out! I am getting a bit confused to what would be the best choice and a suitable vac that doesn't ratt(le my ears.

The festool vac is awesome but any hoover will work a wet dry is best people like the lidl one for a cheap solution, with good features. wear ear protection cos the sander and a vac r going to make noise, I'm sure the grinder u use at the moment isn't quiet.
If you can afford the festool rotex its what is top of the market for rough to fine sanding. whats ur budget??

Richard

Back