Samsung Galaxy Tablet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
My granddaughters Samsung Galaxy Tab2 will not switch on or charge, has anyone experienced the same fault, it was a present from Santa and she is devastated, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Baldhead

If it's like a lot of other tablets it is probably a completely flat battery. Are you using the supplied. Charger or a USB into the computer. There is probably not enough power to recharge a fully drained tablet from a USB slot.

On an iPad to reset the the thing you need to hold down the button on the front and the on button on the side for about 10 seconds. Not sure if a hard reset is the same on the Galaxy?

Mick

Instructions for hard reset from the internet.

My Galaxy Tab is messed up and I can't even use the menus

This hard reset can be done even if the device won't seem to power on.

Make sure that it is OFF.
Press the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously and hold them for few seconds.
When you see the logo appear, release the Power button (but keep holding the Volume Up button).
Next you'll see a menu where you can use the Volume Up & Volume Down buttons to navigate across. Check the option labeled as Wipe Data / Factory Reset using the Power button.

Good luck

Mick

The best option for a completely flat battery is to plug it into a mains charger, not a laptop or PC USB socket. You get more current from a mains charger.

MMUK":2apezgbd said:
The best option for a completely flat battery is to plug it into a mains charger, not a laptop or PC USB socket. You get more current from a mains charger.
Tried changing from mains charger, wouldn't charge or switch on. Will charge it via laptop for approx 8 hours then plug it into mains charger. If it works I will let you know.

Baldhead

I had the same problem with my galaxy tab 2, plugging the tablet into a computer did not do any good (from memory something to do with the usb port not providing enough juice to charge the battery) and in the end tried the 3 pin plug from an iphone charger with the cable provided with the galaxy tab. Not surprisingly samsung do not recommend using another manufacturers charger but this set up has worked for me.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A laptop can't charge a tablet properly. It requires too much current. Use the mains charger and give it quite a few hours.

If you've totally flattened the battery you might have damaged it (the battery). In normal use it will shut itself down to prevent this, but if you insist on restarting it repeatedly after that point, damage can occur (you would have to work at it to do this).

Others have given sound advice: long charge on mains, hard reset then see if it behaves. I have a Galaxy Note 10.1, which is similar. On mine you can change the battery - needs care but DIY-able. If it hasn't worked at all since it arrived, you might have to return it, as they ship with some charge (not much) already in the battery, to protect it.

E.

PS: I found to my annoyance that a car USB charging adaptor also has difficulty.

we had the same problem, unreliable charging, some days it was ok then others would not charge in the end it went totaly flat and would not even turn on so returned it, three weeks later got it back to find it's been wiped clean.

Thanks guys, it's sorted now, not really sure how I did it but I did, one 7 year old granddaughter is very pleased, "grandad you can fix everything" brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks again

Baldhead

First step, as everyone else has said, is leave it on it's own charger overnight. If it won't start in the morning the problem is probably the battery has flattened completely and beyond the chance of being recharged. The Tab 2 is quite an old tablet now, so may have terminally discharged in storage before sale.
Take it back to where it was purchased and demand a refund.

I had this happen to my Galaxy S3 phone...in the end I got a completely new battery...changed it and charged it and it worked fine but you don't have that option with these tablets and they charge a fortune to get the battery changed.

I think this is part of the planned obsolescence of these devices!

Jimi

jimi43":ox7qmkdx said:
you don't have that option with these tablets and they charge a fortune to get the battery changed.

I think this is part of the planned obsolescence of these devices!

Jimi

Not officially but it can be done easily enough :mrgreen:

Batteries for the Tab 2 are about £16 for a decent quality one.

Back