Saloon Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Sayers

Established Member
Reaction score
Saloon Doors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.
I wonder can anyone point me in the direction of pics or plans for bar room type "Saloon Doors"?
I want to make a pair and am looking for ideas.
Thanks

Ive not made a pair of these before but having worked in places that have swinging doors ive noticed the hinge side of the door and frame are rounded to take that nasty hinge that wants to eat your fingers , other than that the door construction is the same as any other door . Hope this helps a little and welcome to the forum :D

JFC":3dxkn9us said:
I've noticed the hinge side of the door and frame are rounded to take that nasty hinge that wants to eat your fingers, other than that the door construction is the same as any other door.
Hi Les and welcome

The rounding is the accommodate the hinge which has two pivot points (at either edge of the door) rather than a single one. You'll probably need to round both edges of the doors and leave a slightly bigger gap than normal between the doors to prevent the doors from striking each other as the hinges will allow a small amount of movement outwards depending on how much force is applied and the tension of the springs. Almost all the hinges I've used like this seem to be made for doors which are 3 or 4mm thinner than the door I've been fitting them to so the pivot housings have needed to be sunk into the face of the door.

Oh yes, and getting the tension set on them can be a bear!

Scrit

gawd the last time i fitted these was over 25 years ago, and the doors were freely available from whoever was B&Q in those days.

you tend to get two style, either batwing tops, or flat tops, but other wise they are just a louvred door which has a two way hinge.

the biggest problem is how dirty they get in a kitchen without you really knowing. one day you look, and there is this layer of gunge on them.

great excuse for a fein multi tool though!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have n't checked recently, whether the top and bottom mounted hinges i used then are still available, but am sure Isaac Lord would know.

all the best
paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back