Ryobi EDP5530L Variable Speed Drill Press with Laser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrissey007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thought I'd share this deal I found with you all for anyone looking for a new drill Press. These Drills are good quality and normally sell for around £250, induction motor, rack/pinion table wind up/down, Laser and digital speed readout and no pulley swapping to change speed just a handle to wind speed up or down. Even includes a small vice!

And icing on the cake? In addition to it being already a great price; use TENOFFJULY in the voucher code at check-out and get a further £10 off, makes this one hell of a lot of drill for only £145! (P&P is also a very reasonable £5.95)

I ordered one on Friday and it arrived yesterday. Took me no more than 30 minutes to put it together. (Get some help putting the top motor on - its heavy!) I'm Really pleased with it. (I'm not affiliated with Ryobi or Tooled-Up just thought someone might like to grab a bargain!!)

It's here; Ryobi Drill Press

Thanks for that, I've been considering this drill and your recommendation was timely so I've now ordered mine.

I am regularly changing between metal and wood drilling and this will be much more convenient.

You're welcome! Here's my thoughts/ pros/cons after a couple of days use I hope this helps.

• The lasers are great, a nice clear "X' marks the spot really helps, mine were out slightly but the adjustment is quick and easy, although I found when I tightened the adjustment screw the laser moved out on the last bit of tightening so I had to compensate and move the laser out slightly so it moved into line when tightening (hope that makes sense?).
    Overall height and depth are spot on for my liking, all the other drills I looked at were either too big or too small
    The induction motor is really quiet and (I don't know if this is a feature of induction motors or an undocumented feature of the drill) but brakes very quickly; in under a second of hitting the stop button, I really like that idea.
    Reasonable throat depth, I think around 125mm.
    Rack and pinion height adjustment of the table. Table can be set at 45° but this requires loosening a screw under the table, not too user friendly.
    The light is good but without a shroud can get in your eyes slightly.
    Has a spindle lock so I've already used it as a sander with some of Axminster's sanding Drums. Also has depth stop, I haven't tried to see how accurate the scale is yet but appears pretty good.
    Speed control handle was incredibly stiff, but there's a nylock nut on the speed control shaft that can be loosened VERY slightly, this instantly solved the problem. So speed change is now very smooth and not having to stop the drill, open up the top and move pulleys is great. Coupled with the digital readout it's very slick.
    The base seems slightly untrue on the bottom so I've had to pack a shim under one foot, When I get around to it I'll investigate further but I feel some metal filing is on the cards.

Overall I would have happily paid £250 for this drill so at £145 it's a steal, just look at what you'd get for £145 elsewhere!

Hi morrissey, mine arrived today, very quick as it is only two days since I ordered it.

Either you are lucky or I am unlucky though as the nvr switch on mine buzzes like an angry wasp and the motor rattles like a skeleton in a dustbin.

It's now all packed up again for them to come and collect on Monday. ](*,)

No! Thats a real shame, as you say; one of us is lucky, mine is nice and quiet. You getting a replacement?

myturn":3exr929r said:
Hi morrissey, mine arrived today, very quick as it is only two days since I ordered it.

Either you are lucky or I am unlucky though as the nvr switch on mine buzzes like an angry wasp and the motor rattles like a skeleton in a dustbin.

It's now all packed up again for them to come and collect on Monday. ](*,)

Same as mine LOL or it could be that you were given mine LOL

Roger

Got my replacement and it's fine.

No buzzing and no rattling this time.

Needed a few tweaks in assembly and setup though.

I haven't examined the speed control mechanism yet but it's mechanical not electrical, done by moving a lever which sounds as though it's perhaps operating some kind of cone-drive inside the head (which doesn't seem to be user-accessible).

The rise-and-fall of the table is a bit juddery as the column collar is not a particularly good fit around the column but some lubrication will help.

The drill will plunge to 80mm but at miximum extension there is some play in the shaft.

The lowering handles for the plunge mechanism were wrongly (in my view) assembled. They consist of a rod threaded both ends, one end of which goes into the plunge mechanism and the other end carries a rubber handle. They came with the handles pre-installed but on the wrong end, such that tightening the rods into the plunge mechanism caused them to bind on a threaded rod that is used to tighten the depth-control. Reversing the rods cured that.

While installing the head onto the column the head did not drop onto the column properly but this was simply because a locking grub-screw in the head was protruding beyond the bore and stopping the head dropping down over the column. Once I realised this it was a simple matter of relasing the grub-screw further.

I do like the brake on the motor which stops the drill almost as soon as the stop button is hit.

It comes with a 13mm chuck with 2MT shaft but I think I'll replace the chuck with a larger and better one, the one suppplied has quite a lot of play in it.

Overall I will say it's not as solid or as well made as the 20 year old Sealey it's replacing but I don't do much heavy drilling so I can live with that for the convenience of the variable speed and in-built laser.

It's cheap and you get what you pay for.

Overall I'm very happy with mine. No problems a little grease and fettling hasn't rectified.

I haven't examined the speed control mechanism yet but it's mechanical not electrical, done by moving a lever which sounds as though it's perhaps operating some kind of cone-drive inside the head (which doesn't seem to be user-accessible).
There's a deeply recessed screw dead centre in the top cover - cover then removes easily.

Thanks Roger, I'd noticed the hole in the top but, eyes not being what they used to be, I'd not spotted the screw at the bottom :(

Now I'll just have to take it apart!

Plug a vacuum hose into the base of the table and you have both a vacuum hold-down and dust removal system :)

drillvac.jpg

I agree with you Mick, the chuck is rubbish, cheap and nasty. I don't get the 'judder' when I raise/lower the table; is the hand screw at the back loose enough? and a bit of good ol' wd may help? And thanks for the great tip on the handles, mine were the wrong way round too, so now the depth stop screw is nice and loose! I still think its worth the £145 (but I wouldn't have paid the 250 though).

Do you have any recommendation for a decent replacement chuck please? Would the 16mm version of this Axminster Keyless chuck fit if I bought the 2MT -B16 arbor with it?

morrissey007":s17s93jt said:
I agree with you Mick, the chuck is rubbish, cheap and nasty. I don't get the 'judder' when I raise/lower the table; is the hand screw at the back loose enough? and a bit of good ol' wd may help? And thanks for the great tip on the handles, mine were the wrong way round too, so now the depth stop screw is nice and loose! I still think its worth the £145 (but I wouldn't have paid the 250 though).

Do you have any recommendation for a decent replacement chuck please? Would the 16mm version of this Axminster Keyless chuck fit if I bought the 2MT -B16 arbor with it?
I've sorted the judder by filling the gearbox for the raising/lowering handle with lm grease, teflon grease on the column and keeping the column clamp partially tightened so that the clamp is a tighter fit around the column. It now raises and lowers a lot more smoothly.

Be careful when screwing the rubber grips back onto the handles, with the rods reversed so they no longer bind on the yellow lever/screw the end that goes into the rubber handle has no shoulder on it to stop it screwing too far into the handle, at which point it will split the threaded sleeve in the handle! Guess how I know this?

I've also noticed a discrepancy in the laser alignment. I adjusted the laser so it crosses on a point drilled in a piece of metal in the table with a 1mm drill. Then I swung the table away and marked the point where the laser crossed on the base-plate of the drill. Replacing the drill bit with my other centre finder (which I use for aligning my lathe) the centre spot did not fall in the same place as that indicated by the built-in laser. This is probably academic as I won't be using any drill bits that are long enough to protrude far enough down to the point where the laser misalignment is significant.

That 16mm chuck would fit (any 2MT tapered chuck should fit) but note it only closes down to 3mm so you can't use drills any smaller than that. Also I think I would stick with the keyed type as there is no mechanical brake to stop the drill shaft turning when you tighten the keyless type.

see RDG keyed chucks

I discovered the depth problem myself on the handles, fortunately managed to stop myself winding it in too far as I say the plastic collar on the rubber handle go white with 'stretch marks'!

Thanks for the info on the chuck, I take it RDG are reasonable quality? As they seem a little too cheap (I don't want to splash money out for no reason but the old adage of not getting something for nothing usually applies!)

And even though its a 13mm currently on the drill I can still change over to 16mm? (I note the RDG is 1 to 16mm so now 3mm limitation? - but the pin vice is on order just in case!) Sorry dumb question but I'm new to this game!

I agree on the laser; even though I took time setting it up I notice its out again so I'm tending to ignore it now and have gone back to eyesight!

I bought the RDG 2MT KEY-TYPE DRILL CHUCK 1 - 16MM CAPACITY and its a vast improvement over the one supplied plus it has greater capacity. It's movements are smooth and there is no slop as there was on the chuck supplied with the drill.

Thanks Mick, received my RDG 16mm Chuck on tuesday, yup, totally agree, massive improvement over the rubbish chuck that came with the drill. It's big, very solid and the key actually FITS the chuck unlike the one that came with the original that was so loose you couldn't tighten properly. Thanks for the link to their site!!

Back