Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busy builder

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered and received a Dakota bobbin sander and have a couple of problems.

First off it doesn't actually work, I can only see 1 on/off switch on the front so assume it's faulty. Secondly I've tried some of the rolls on the bobbins and can't get a couple to slide on, ? I tried some vaseline on one but it only slid on about 1/3 of the way then stuck, is there a knack to this ?

ta

So what's wrong with the on off switch?

You need to slacken the nut on top of the spindle and make sure the rubber sleeve is slack on the shaft (if it is the same as my Jet model it is a left hand thread if I remember correctly)
Once the sanding sleeve is pushed onto the rubber shaft then.tighten the nut which expands the rubber gripping the sanding sleeve

Do not apply Vaseline :wink:

Yes I'm going to call Rutlands when they open Monday morning, theres no power on the machine so it's obviously something amiss inside, and it's not the fuse either. I tried some of the abrasive rolls on the rubber tubes before putting on the machine so they wern't expanded and they won't go on.

I have one of these. The sleeves are pretty tight to get on and off but I have no other complaints. Hope you get it sorted as they are great little machines.

I bought a router table from them some time ago and it was evident that I received a table that was previously returned. It did have some scratches on and some parts of the table parts were already fitted. I was away with work and never got around to complain but Rutlands lost a customer for life. They obviously knew the table were returned and not a new item but yet they sold it as new. Bad business practice and I will not use them again ever, even if a product is cheaper at them I would buy it from another company as I feel cheated.

Smouser":7epme9rd said:
I bought a router table from them some time ago and it was evident that I received a table that was previously returned. It did have some scratches on and some parts of the table parts were already fitted. I was away with work and never got around to complain but Rutlands lost a customer for life. They obviously knew the table were returned and not a new item but yet they sold it as new. Bad business practice and I will not use them again ever, even if a product is cheaper at them I would buy it from another company as I feel cheated.

Once they pulled the same trick on me. I returned a faulty item and a while later they sent out the replacement. The "new" item was the very one I returned, although they went through the trouble of cleaning it and replacing a worn part, otherwise it would have been obvious. I know it was the same item as it was still faulty. It's safe to say I had some very stern words with them...

It's disgusting that they're happy to pass off used goods as new, and almost laughable that they would try it with the the guy who returned it in the first place.

Argos have done the same, which is a much bigger buisiness. Maybe the policy is 'don't scrap/sell it on ebay until two customers have returned it.' ?

I've bought a huge amount of stuff off Rutlands and generally been happy except for their often misleading "sale prices" and general "overpricing in order to discount" strategy. They should not have sent you a previously used item by law unless described as such and on those grounds alone you should exchange it.

Latest posts

Back