Rutlands' Super Dust Extraction Kit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theartfulbodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Is this worth a punt as a kit to base a proper plumbed in extraction system on?

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+super-dust ... 100?tyah=y
product-image-c.php

two 100mm extraction hoses, both 10ft long, four blast gates, a universal dust hood, a jointer dust hood, a table saw dust hood, Y connector and ten jubilee style clips.

It's £49.95 (down from £89.95 :wink: ) with an extra 10% off if I can find something for 5 pence to buy.

I have an Axi twin bag extractor that I've Heath-Robinsoned with tumble drier hose and gaffa tape, but really need to create something more permanent and fit for purpose..

I'm on a budget these days, I've previously been looking at 110mm soil pipe but would still need to buy 100-110mm adaptors and flexi hose and blast gates and and..

Thanks in advance for any help advice opinions or alternatives to look at :)

Thanks SPSlick!

I've read a bit about cyclones - another thing on my 'to do' list (hammer)

The one you've linked to has 63mm fittings, would I lose a load of suck if I connected it up to a HVLP 100mm system?

Do they help filter very fine dust particles?

Sorry as ever about all the questions :oops:

I have mine fitted to a 100mm hose for use on a planer/thickneser and a table saw. The extraction power is from a vax upright cleaner with 2200w power. So far no dust has got through the cyclone into the vax so I'm very pleased with it.

+1 for the Rutlands Cyclone.
I received mine last week.......and this week they have the sale. :(
I've got my cyclone running off of a Nilfisk vac with no loss of suction.
The cyclone seems very efficient at capturing the waste, my only negative comment about it is that it can tip over easily due to a lack of weight in it's base.
But I think I read one of the reviewers suggested putting a heavy weight or brick in the bottom to overcome this problem.

I'm on my second cyclone from Rutlands. First one caved in to several pieces! Exchanged no problem. Running off a Midi, the hose fell off and sucked onto the carpet (blocked end) and resulted in it con-caving... Not very strong.

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered the kit, together with 5m of flexi hose.
I'll report back when I have it all plumbed in.

I've been using this sort of thing to hold the previous contraption

ae235

What does everyone else use? Any top tips?

I can do a brick free of charge - but collection only.
I use my cyclone for both planer / thicknesser and table saw, both have 100mm hoses and I simply use step down connectors.

Thanks for the reply, do you find it resricts airflow much?

I was half tempted by the Rutlands cyclone but thought I'd save up and get one with 100mm fittings, maybe one of Chem's, or more likely a DIY one.

I'm about to get rid of a load of old bricks via freecycle as it happens, maybe I should save one...

The air flow seems fine, I've posted a couple of pictures to show my set up (excuse the mess): -
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg

As you can see the cyclone is right by both P/T and table saw and driven by an old Vax. The brick is in there, just hidden for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 3,000
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 3,000
Thanks, Glynne!
Never mind a bit of mess, it's the sign of things being made :)

I might be getting confused here between the different types of air sucking machinery..

I have an old Axi twin bag chip extractor, from what I've read it's a low pressure high volume machine and best suited to 4" pipes..
High pressure low volume systems like your Vax are better with lower diameter pipework?

Back