Rutlands sanding set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austin,
It appears to be better value than the Axminster set of four grades x 6 metres each for £12.71 including delivery, unless you wanted 400 grit.

Dave

I had a similar pack a while ago. It was ok. I replaced it with a set of mesh abrasive, and it is much much better. It was about £16, so more expensive but I think it is worth the difference. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ab ... 06381(same set, better price at the Harrogate show from Biven)

Both of my sets are/were 25mm rather than 35mm. That seemed wide enough though

I use the abrasive mesh too. I also use A Mirka sander also with mesh style pads. I would never go back! The finish is much better, it lasts longer and extraction is better. I don't see any negative point about using mesh abrasive.

I use mine mainly for sanding pens, pepper mills, small items. If I made bowls, I would use it for that too.

The biggest advantages that I see are that 1. the mesh seems to be double sided, so maybe you get twice as much, 2. when it fills with dust, a quick flick empties it- so much so, you have to make sure that you are not trying to use blunt abrasive, 3. if you try and sand a finish before it is fully dried (eg sanding sealer), the mesh doesn't seem to clog like the paper.

Shame you didn't get to Harrogate show, there was a guy there selling surplus rolls of various grits 50m x 110mm for £4 a roll. I bought 180g, 240g and 400g, decent abrasive and wish I'd got more.
I also meant to get his details and have thrown away the floor plan but someone on here might have it.

Back