Rutlands black friday sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any hands on experience with their stuff? I’m relatively new to woodworking so haven’t bought anything from them yet. But from what I see their clamps look identical to Bessey clamps, only significantly cheaper.

They seem to talk a good game in their product descriptions, but I just wondered whether they actually deliver in reality.

They have a reputation for not allowing any negative reviews to be published on their site. I’m bored while sat at an airport so just had a quick look and couldn’t find anything other than 5 star reviews …:unsure::rolleyes:

They have a reputation for not allowing any negative reviews to be published on their site. I’m bored while sat at an airport so just had a quick look and couldn’t find anything other than 5 star reviews …:unsure::rolleyes:
I did think they seemed too good to be true. To claim the accuracy they do, and have only perfect reviews …at those prices. How are they not in EVERY workshop in the uk?!

But I guess that’s how then 😔

Does anyone have any hands on experience with their stuff? I’m relatively new to woodworking so haven’t bought anything from them yet. But from what I see their clamps look identical to Bessey clamps, only significantly cheaper.

They seem to talk a good game in their product descriptions, but I just wondered whether they actually deliver in reality.
I have bought a few things from them, they do very nice 4 inch castors on offer sometimes which lock both the rolling and rotation. They are very heavy duty, do not flatspot over time and lock easily unlike a lot I tried before. I have bought quite alot of those.
I also have one of the router motors with insert plate, pretty good value if not top notch quality control.
A few other bits and pieces have all been fine like some of the router bits, but I did send back a set of roller stands I bought because they were not rolling concentrically which is bloody useless when trying to run big timber over a planer !

Ollie

I ordered a woodturning scraper from Rutland a few years ago, mid range price, OK quality but wouldn't buy another. Their email promotions were almost daily so I unsubscribed. Today I ordered some drill bits, in sale about 30% off but when you add p&p which you don't see until you are almost through the ordering process, total cost not that much better than others.

A banner flashed up, £10 off your first order if you sign up for newsletter. No conditions shown at that stage. Got the email, turns out it's only on orders over a threshold and not sale items so I feel slightly misled. Not that I expected much but it's the disconnect between advert and reality. Will have to un subscribe.

I went ahead anyway but fear it might be a mistake. You sort of get sucked in. Not a lot of £ at risk though, wouldn't spend big money with them.

I get the impression that they are very good at marketing.

(oh for the days of good local tool and hardware stores....)

There are other threads on here about Rutlands.
They are a company which sources from China and is extremely good at marketing.
Their delivery is fast and (from my experience) their customer service is good.

I have a number of items from them and have no hesitation buying from them...
their bench top belt-sander is in daily use as is the workshop air filter, I have long clamps which have been used extensively without issue and a number of other items...
but I always price check and I look at whether it is something which is identical elsewhere because all buy it from china (e.g. the sander) so price and speed of delivery is more important - or whether it is something where I might want a specific brand (e.g. I buy Famag cutters etc.)

due diligence and therefore no issues - if it is not right, send it back.

I bought the R15 router motor/lift combo from them at the beginning of the year when it was reduced on one of their deals. It hasn’t let me down yet. Having said that I need to run a few pieces through it this afternoon. 🤞🏻

I bought the R15 router motor/lift combo from them at the beginning of this year when it was reduced on one of their deals. It hasn’t let me down yet. Having said that I need to run a few pieces through it this afternoon. 🤞🏻

I agree with akirk, I've bought a few things from them including a straight edge and some mobile bases, all good. Service is very good, but they do send a lot of emails!!

Bought a chuck and set of jaw kits from them a couple of years ago. The steel is already starting to pit and tarnish badly. Would I use them again? Hmmm probably not, especially if it is true about them not tolerating reviews or scores below 5 stars.

I have purchased various items from them including a small router without any problem Their stock is basically what others are selling, in different guises Not sure I would purchase some of their larger machines, simply because many of them don't took man enough for the task.
They do make an effort with marketing, particularly with their emails. I keep abreast of their offers, because of this. By contrast, Axminster's offers, I only dip into from time to time.

Last edited:
The only thing I’ve ordered from them recently was a set of workbench casters (which I used on my lathe stand). Pretty good.

I am seriously considering getting a router plate/lift/motor set (R15 I think). The only thing making me unsure is the lack of a depth lock and I saw a bloke on YouTube who said his motor sounded unusually loud

Bought a chuck and set of jaw kits from them a couple of years ago. The steel is already starting to pit and tarnish badly. Would I use them again? Hmmm probably not, especially if it is true about them not tolerating reviews or scores below 5 stars.
I wonder what could have caused that?

I agree with akirk, I've bought a few things from them including a straight edge and some mobile bases, all good. Service is very good, but they do send a lot of emails!!
yea the emails are annoying, i got a few things from them, like most companies they sell some good stuff, and some not so good stuff, do your research on the product and decide exactly what you want then look for a good price online if not locally. axminster are the same, good customer service but some of their products arent up to scratch, some are great.

A few years ago I tried to leave a 1 star review but was told that it wouldn't be made public because of "my choice of language" - the worst I had said was that the item was cheaply made and not fit for purpose. I haven't bothered to order anything from them since.

Latest posts

Back