Rutlands 8" Fox table saw special

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noogoot

Reaction score
Hi

Rutlands are offering a tablesaw reduced from £399 to £249. They refer to a review I've not seen. Anyone used this saw, or seen it in the flesh? I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others.

Thanks

Rob

The review is in GoodWoodworking #186. This issue is still on sale, so get down to your local WHSmiths. It gets 41/2 stars out of 5. Looks good.

I have one and DAD on this forum recently got one. At the price Rutlands are offering it at I would say go for it unless you aren't mechanically minded as the instructions are c**p. Have a look here for a recent thread. If you do get it and need some help let me know.

Steve

As said above, I've just got one of these. Too early to say what it's like in extended use - but I think it's well worth the £250 asking price, particularly as there is little competition in that sort of price range (which is what I'd paid).

Richard

£249?!! I can't believe they can ship it over for that and make a profit! (Perhaps they were in a container on the boat in Devon and got spirited away... :lol: )
To all intents and purposes, it's pretty much a Kity 419, (which I own) but the r/h side table is poor by comparison to the Kity.
Better blade adjustments and cast iron top and equal motor power/performance though. Durability of the motor on far east products might be a concern, but at this price, you're almost in the realms of battery tools that run out of steam. The battery cost doesn't warrant a new one, you by a new tool.
My Kity wa a tricky one to tweak and adjust when setting the sliding table, so expect similar with this if you buy one. The Kity manual wasn't the best iirc either, so on a par with the chinese there!

Andy

At that price you can't really go wrong but when I looked at one at DB Keighley I wasn't sure the addition of a cast iron sliding table was a success. It's much heavier than the aluminium sliding table fitted on the Kity but is only supported by the same aluminium extrusion and two steel bars. The result was a slight sag that my second hand Kity 419 doesn't suffer to the same extent. The guy at DB Keighley told me that was the feedback he had also given to Fox.

Having said all that the new price is a lot cheaper than you would pay for even a second hand Kity with all the bells and whistles so it is a steal.

Would also second Andy's comments about the quality of the Kity manual and the difficulty in setting the sliding table up. It's a b!gger :?

Back