Rutlands 10% off everything + Free UK Delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see the link helped some of you out, I ordered my stuff the day i posted the link and got my stuff the next day :D

Cheers

Dave

planetWayne":walhr79g said:
Mattty":walhr79g said:
selly":walhr79g said:
Hand has been hovering over the add to basket icon of the worksharp3000 all day....

Can't really justify it but would be damn pleased with it....
Do it. Superb kit. HTH 8)

I to have been humming and haring about getting one of these for months. With the discount, freebies, the offer code and now your comment, it has pushed me over the edge!!!! ( Even got SWMBO approval - so cant be bad!!)

new toy!! Weeee!!!

I've weakened. :roll:

Well - Mine arrived today! (ws3000!)

Just a few points worth noting...

1. If you ever thought 'freehanding' a plane blade was a good idea (we are talking novice here) - it isn't!! not untill you get your blade on something with a set angle will you realise what a mess up you have made!
  2. your arm will look silly with a bald patch when you have finished testing your newly sharpened blade!
  3. If you are playing - erm sharpening a lot get a dust mask - I'm still sneezing black goo.
  4. DONT get over excited about your new toy and use your new WS3000 on the kitchen table ESPECIALLY if you have a nice clean blue white checkered table cloth as SWMBO wont take too kindly if it has a newly decorated 'grey' patch!!! (Luckily I managed to strip it down and give it a good shake outside before she came down - I hope she doesn't find this post though!!!)

Other than that - Happy Days! It really seems to be one of those Ronseal products!

What a good bit of gear that worksharp is!

A bit expensive though. But in terms of time, efficiency, pleasure at knowing ones tools are sharp and that i can buy some old beaten up things now safe in the knowledge i can get them very well sharpened it is worth it.

I agree, what a fantastic bit of kit. Just an observation, it needs to be fixed to something to stop it moving around and there needs to be a covering to the end and side to stop the dust spreading across the bench; of course dust extraction would be better. I've noticed that some posters have mentioned about a noise starting soon after purchase. Mine has started as well, it appears to be coming from the gearbox. Does it merit going back or is it just the way it is?

I sorta succumbed, I bought the ws2000. I couldn't quite justify or spring to the ws3000.
I don't think it is 'quite' what the makers claim in that you won't get razor sharp tools straight off the machine. What you get is a blade that is 'prepared' for further refinement.
There is quite a bit of wobble at the edge of the plastic disc and it is very hard to get a truly flat back on the blades; it's close but, not close enough.
The grinding port does a reasonable job of grinding a 25 degree bevel on blades down to about half an inch, less than that and keeping the grind square is not easy.
I think the machine rotates way too fast at over three times the speed of the ws3000. I can't understand quite why they designed it that way.
The free knife sharpening attachment is quite good and gives a very sharp edge to most knives.
So,to sum up, the ws2000 is fine so long as you accept that you're going to have more work to do if you want a properly sharp tool. If you're hoping for that straight from the machine you may be disappointed.

Shultzy":tktge5ny said:
I've noticed that some posters have mentioned about a noise starting soon after purchase. Mine has started as well, it appears to be coming from the gearbox

is this a sort of 'dunk dunk dunk...' kinda noise? If it is, I've got it too. I was wondering if was something that needed to 'bed in'. I have been watching this instructional DVD to see if I could hear something similar but the machine noise is edited quieter.

Wayne.

Hmm interesting about the WS posts. Had mine a while - had to after buying 12 Sorby chisels from Ebay, would've been there all year doing it by hand. Haven't noticed any noise or vibration - certainly not enough to fix it down. Wonder if the QA is not that good at Workshop. Great kit until you overheat a blade, oops :(

mbartlett99":278fwger said:
Haven't noticed any noise or vibration - certainly not enough to fix it down.(

No it's not vibrating, I just found that it moved away from me when I sharpening maybe I was pushing too hard.

planetWayne, sort of a dull clicking. Pity we can't put sound files up for people to listen to.

Latest posts

Back