Rusted Up Foreplane (Not rusty anymore, pics here)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chems":huo6encu said:
Rob, thats lovely, what brand and shade of paint did you use for the blue? Someone recommend a brand from B&Q but I could never find it.

It was a Hammerite 'Smoothrite' paint that I just happened to spot in a bargain bucket store in town and very luckily, the colour was just about the right Record shade of blue - Rob

There's been some pretty impressive restoration work going on here!

May I suggest that an oil finish might be better than varnish for the handles? I bought a Record #5 in the early '70s and it's holding up well but the varnish on the handles is cracking and flaking. One of these days, I'm going to rub them down and use an American gun stock finish called Tru-oil made by Birchwood Casey. You can get it here in gunsmiths and some sporting goods shops. It's a varnish and oil mixture which fills the grain quickly and is really tough. It has a subtle sheen too.

Just a thought.

Rob can I assume that the handle on the side of that plane means it is intended for shooting?

Yes - Record made it specially for school workshops - its full title is the Record School Jack Plane No. T5

Although it has bigger wings, Record kept the weight down by using a thinner sole.

Rod

I can't claim the wood on this as mine. It was actually done by a Greg Droz here in the States; but the rest is my work. Your photos reminded me of this one. Thanks for looking.
sawshots001.jpg

WiZeR":8yqfb65q said:
Rob can I assume that the handle on the side of that plane means it is intended for shooting?

Yup - it was my interpretation of what the T5 side handle would look like...apparently the original handle was a much taller and skinnier affair - Rob

In reference to the side handle on the Record, I saw that same plane in an antique shop yesterday. It was in very good shape and was priced at $90.00, if anyone is interested. You are right, the side handle was more like a chisel handle in shape.

joiner_sim":3bztan5y said:
:D Hi,
I've been given a 1950's Record No.6 Foreplane. The plane itself is nothing i don't think i can't sort out, not much rust to complain about. But..... the iron and cap iron are rusted to bits. Is it possible for me to restore them, and what method is best? Or would it be better for me to source a new iron and cap iron. I really want to restore this plane due to its age and the superb construction of it, with its wooden handles and the RECORD name.

This is a picture of one in good condition:

IM.0838_zl.jpg

Great job and great to see that you have retained the original paint finish

Handrubbed":ppa2z6sv said:
In reference to the side handle on the Record, I saw that same plane in an antique shop yesterday. It was in very good shape and was priced at $90.00, if anyone is interested. You are right, the side handle was more like a chisel handle in shape.

From my site(but not my tool)

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/record.html#t5

BugBear

joiner_sim":ksi0yj63 said:
05072008013.jpg

Thanks,
Simon.
Hi Simon

It might well just be the lighting, but on the above pic it looks like there is still quite a large hollow from one corner of the toe back to the mouth of the plane (the dark shaded area). I would think that you ideally need to be getting rid of this to be getting the best out of the plane.

But then, if it works and you are happy then I guess it's fine :D

Cheers

Mark

Back