Rust converters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Do they work? Any suggestions? Hammerite, Jenolite etc or are they all the same? Only need a small amount, say 250 ml or so.
It's for the bottom of an old rad, removed all the rust I can see but no doubt there's a little hiding somewhere. And Neil Young gives good advice.... : )

Thanks in advance.

I use Milk Stone Remover bought from an Agricultural Suppliers - a cheap form of Phosphoric Acid which is what Jenolite is.
But comes in 5lt containers.

The stuff Workshop Heaven sells comes in smaller amounts and works very well too.

Rod

I'm currently experimenting with rust removers (rather than converters) on large X-cut saws - which are too large for my normal electrolysis bath. Tried phosphoric acid (45% concentration, diluted 50:50 with water) and Hammerite Rust Remover Gel. Both worked and my favourite was the gel - as I could just brush it on thick and no worries about needing to fit the item into a large container. Found it best to brush it on, rinse/scrub (using kitchen scourer) and re-apply 2 or 3 times (versus the instructions, which say to keep applying new coats - without removing previous).

In the early stages a black 'tarnish' is left - as the rust is [insert correct chemistry phrase!] 'treated'. This fades/is removed as further coats are applied.

If you've already removed the worst then one application may be enough.

Thanks all. Found some Hammerite Kurust locally. Seems to do the job but will look at others in the future. Vactan seems to have a very good reputation.

I've used Bilthamber products in the past, all of which have been very effective. From memory they do a granular form that is mixed with hot water (the hotter the better) into which you immerse the rusted item. additional they produce a gel type product that you paint onto larger items and then wrap in cling film to prevent the air getting to it.

Both products do leave behind a black residue but that is easily removed with a kitchen sponge scourer and warm soapy water.

Latest posts

Back