Rushing for Santa!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a rush job on after the high gloss units took so long. This time it is a Pine Toy box ready for Christmas for one of my customers. I used a one of the laminated pine boards for the build and started this morning by cutting it up to size.
APartscutout.jpg

Next it was out with the trusty dovetail jig and an hour of routing.
Bdovetailjig.jpg

Which gave me lots of pieces with frilly edges.
CDovetailscut.jpg

It was time for a test fit just in case it didn't fit together.
Dtestfit.jpg

Next I rounded the front edges of the sides as the top will be a seat. Then added some handles to the sides.
EHandlescut.jpg

I cut a rebate on the inside of the rear to accomodate the back of the seat.
FRebateinrear.jpg

It was then time for the glue up and while it was in the clamps I made the top with the leftovers from the sheet. This is the main reason that it is a breadboard top.
JBreadboardtop.jpg

After rounding over the front edge of the top I took the box out of the clamps.
GFittedtogether.jpg

I finally fitted the top and the soft close stays.
KTopfitted.jpg

I had run out of time by this point and will make the plinth and sign the name on the front tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Yes I was pleased with what I got done today. :D My dovetail jig is the Dakota one, I think it is the smaller one at 15". I always use this for my dovetails as it is so easy and quick to set up and works perfectly every time. :wink: I notice they do a longer one but with a bit of carerful alignment this works fine for longer runs. :D

Nice work dude 8)

I may have to get myself one of those dakota jigs. I normally cut mine by hand but it would be nice to just get them done quickly with a jig. At least with the dakota you can do through dovetails at various spacings, it's one thing I'm not keen on is dovetails with pins and tails the same size.

ie like these - bloody orrible

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod21973/

I am not sure if you can do variable spacing with the Dakota jig shane? It is just an ally plate with the fingers for the pins on one side and the tails on the other. I do have one of those Axminster type of jigs It does blind dovetails but it takes an age to set up. I can set up and rout a full box with the Dakota jig in that time.

Got the toy box finished today and delivered.....just in time for Santa too. :D
Lnamecarved.jpg

Ntopopen.jpg

Customer was very happy and little Jay had a big beaming smile on his face. :D

Good work fella 8)

mailee":3o6g77sp said:
I am not sure if you can do variable spacing with the Dakota jig shane?

Not sure how easy it would be, but this is part of the description on the Rutlands website...

"Available as a single 15" or two bolt together 15" jigs to form a 30" one, these jigs will produce through dovetails and can also be used to create variable spaced dovetails, angled and compound angle dovetails for shaped furniture such as garden planters and curved dovetails."

My mistake Shane, I hadnt realised that and hadnt looked at the ad on Rutlands. I shall have to get the instructions out and have a look what it says. Thanks. :oops:

No probs, it aint your fault, instructions are only there to be read when something goes wrong :lol:

Tis this one

I'll probably pay the extra £20 and get the 30", I'm a little worried though, I'm used to Axi's service, it'll be interesing to see how I get on with Rutlands...

Basically yes. You have to make a backing board out of some scrap MDF and do a test cut for a good fit. (the screws are on slotted holes to adjust for a good tight fit) Once this is done you can screw it into that position and it is ready for use. One tip I will give you though is to place a couple of springs from an old biro onto the cutter shanks above the bearing collars to stop them moving. I have not had a problem with this but one or two on the forum have had the collars move up and the cutter has made contact with the ally template with disasterous results. I added the springs to mine just too be on the safe side. I am well pleased with the jig as it is a doddle to set up and use. HTH. :wink:

I shop at both Axi and Rutlands. I can say rutlands are good but you have to pay postage regardless. If you use Titebond glue its cheaper at rutlands.

I have been looking at dovetail jugs for a while and favored the Leigh big one but looking at this dakota one in your pictures think and at a 3rd of the price think ill go for this one.

Nice work as always!

mailee":1tt98e6d said:
One tip I will give you though is to place a couple of springs from an old biro onto the cutter shanks above the bearing collars to stop them moving.

Sorry if im being thick but could you show a picture of what you mean here please?

Back