Roy Sutton basic spindle moulding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glynster

Established Member
Reaction score
Is Roy Sutton's the ONLY DVD on Spindle Moulding in the known Universe? An hour googling suggests it might be - (what a gap in the market). Does anybody know if there's still a last copy for sale on a dusty bottom shelf of some tiny hardware shop somewhere? I cant seem to find it anywhere for love nor money and I'd sure like SOME basic info before firing up a spindle moulder for the first time - using a spindle moulder is like the secret knowledge of woodworking - apart from one basic video from Warwickshire college there's absolutely no how to videos at all. I find that bizarre.

Any help/advice appreciated

I'd be very interested to see that Peter - its very much needed.

I dont agree that there are "loads" on youtube - I dont see one decent or complete beginner introduction - its all scant, dated and mostly junk clips.

I said "Quick search....."' I didn't review them for content or quality!
If you're that much of a beginner I would go for 1:1 tuition on a spindle moulder.
Whilst you can do yourself a lot of damage with a router table, it's nothing to what you could do with a spindle moulder.

That's an old myth and no longer relevant to modern machines with cutters to current safety standards - I at least know that much. Thanks anyway.

Glynster - it might interest you to know that Axy are running a spindle moulder training day in June (which I'm attending incidentally) in their Kent facility. I've found the same lack of content on YT regarding SM instruction too and my assumption is that it's really in the industrial category hence little interest in people uploading. I'm also only 12 miles from Reading :)

glynster":2goxmfew said:
That's an old myth and no longer relevant to modern machines with cutters to current safety standards - I at least know that much. Thanks anyway.

Old myth? what old myth.

I'm a professional Carpenter and Joiner and by that I mean I am qualified and earn my living by the work I do. I have used spindle moulders for around 32 years on a regular basis, I use a spindle moulder virtually every time I make something in my shop. I own three spindle moulders and would advise attending a training course before attempted using one. They are an excellent machine in the workshop but there are some aspects of a spindle moulder that can only really be gained/appreciated by hands on tuition.

Mark

I have watched this video in full on youtube many times, I think the copy right owners are very hot on youtube and any posted content is taken down in a week or so. If you keep checking I am sure you will find it.

I am not sure what is a " old Myth " ??, everything on roy suttons video is just Good Practice and is very current today. The only difference is the tooling has changed abit due to new EU forced regulation changes to help the German and Italian tool makers. Luckly whitehill did manage to survive.
I love when he says " and make the cut" and don't forget your cockpit drill !!

Peter, I hope you do your new video using a wadkin at least lol.

furnman":22alq7je said:
I have watched this video in full on youtube many times, I think the copy right owners are very hot on youtube and any posted content is taken down in a week or so. If you keep checking I am sure you will find it.

I am not sure what is a " old Myth " ??, everything on roy suttons video is just Good Practice and is very current today. The only difference is the tooling has changed abit due to new EU forced regulation changes to help the German and Italian tool makers. Luckly whitehill did manage to survive.

Sorry haven't used a Wadkin for almost 20 years, but will be demonstrating some Whitehill chip limited tooling, the Germans may have invented it but I am happy to use it and have been since the mid 80s, I feel it was the best thing to happen to SP work.

Cheers Peter

furnman":1atgbhxn said:

Personally I am pleased that we now have better tooling and guarding regulations for woodwork machines. I think where an individual is at home and makes decisions about their own personal safety that situation is quite different than where that individual is put under pressure at work to use tooling that leaves that individual at undue risk of injury. The design of the chip limit on newer spindle mouldier blocks helps to reduce the risk of kickback and snatch of a workpiece when using a spindle moulder. If you have ever seen a workpiece snatch on a spindle moulder you will realise how justified the new rulings are. Changes due to the EU regulation incorporate input from the UK business sector, that sector enjoys the financial benefits that go with regulating them.

When I took a very close look at some of the EU regulations I found that the UK business sector had it's fair share of input in forming them.

Mark

I found the Spindle Moulder Handbook by Eric Stephenson quite good, I appreciate it isn't a DVD but still worth a read.

Merlin

I paid for and downloaded an American Wood shaper video,same machine different name.
Look at HSE site, I also have the Spindle Moulder Handbook by Eric Stephenson, The Shaper Book by Lonnie Bird, The Shaper Handbook by Rodger W Cliffe. Couple of other UK books, Machine Woodworking by Nick Rudkin, Wood Machining - A Complete Guide To Effective and Safe Working Practices, both have sections on the use of the spindle moulder.

I did the Peter Sefton training course on the use of the spindle moulder, was excellent made how to use the machine safely and effectively very easy to understand.

Axminster also do a spindle training course and there are a couple of furniture makers on this forum I think and they also offer training.
I have the Roy Sutton video which I thought was very good even though a little dated.
.......I couldn't help noticing one of his fingers looked a bit mangled.......
Take care.
Ps Roy Suttons Safe Woodmaching DVD also has a section on the spindle moulder.

I thought that was brill too, very matter of fact, can see he was a real professional.

glynster":1suy7517 said:
Is Roy Sutton's the ONLY DVD on Spindle Moulding in the known Universe? An hour googling suggests it might be - (what a gap in the market). Does anybody know if there's still a last copy for sale on a dusty bottom shelf of some tiny hardware shop somewhere? I cant seem to find it anywhere for love nor money and I'd sure like SOME basic info before firing up a spindle moulder for the first time - using a spindle moulder is like the secret knowledge of woodworking - apart from one basic video from Warwickshire college there's absolutely no how to videos at all. I find that bizarre.

Any help/advice appreciated

Hi glynster.....I just looked on my dusty shelf and I still have the said DVD - yours for £5 incl postage (i'll PM you). I am DIY and have a Charnwood spindle moulder and totally agree with other posts that a hands on course is much better. Before I ordered my SM I attended the two day Axminster course (probably 5+ years ago) and found it really useful - not only for the safety aspects and the fact that you make a useful frame, but for the confidence it gives you and the realisation that the 'cockpit drill' by whatever name is key.

I also bought a powerfeed for mine to further help keep me as far away from cutters as I can. I'm currently making a shed and last week saved £167 by buying my timber (200 linear m) then profiling it rather than buying an already profiled item (IDIY so time cost very little!).

Dave

Latest posts

Back