Routing circles or making discs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wingate

Established Member
Reaction score
I copied and adapted a design I saw on Routerforums to cut circles and arcs. It is best used with a backing board double sided taped to the underside. Plenty of dist, but quick and cheap. Bought a cutting board and had the rest. It will cut from 10mm to really big if you use a bigger base. Pics on photobucket.
P1000280.jpg

P1000281.jpg

P1000282.jpg

PICT0337.jpg

PICT0338-1.jpg

PICT0339.jpg

Mike, thats a very neat jig. Just today I was looking at the Trend Ncompass, a commercial version of this very jig; cost, almost £50. I'll certainly be building one like yours for myself. Was it regular kitchen chopping board you used for the base?

I concur, and will be building one utilising some of the left over parts, from my old Elu that is exactly the same one as yours, and was my favorite router, but alas is no more.

Yup! --very neat job there! =D>

Nice to see a little Elu used there too; I've used mine sooooo much, -- for all sorts, over 25yrs, and it's still going strong!

made one of these this afternoon , brilliant jig thanks for sharing .

I am using it in the construction of a new drill press table. 2 holes, 1 140 dia to take my largest drum sander. The other is 120 dia. and supports the top plate with the large hole. The dust falls through into a pull-out drawer. Circle blanks cut to fill the 140 hole, with holes to suit other drum sanders. T-Track in an H and a fence with T-Track yet to make.The table sits on a box which sits on the cast iron bed, with a drawer for the dust. I will build a cabinet to sit under the floor mounted drill stand. Drawers and my double ended grinder on top of it.

Any chance of a photo of the drill table Mike, sound interesting

Mark

Mike
Before building a drawer, fix a temporary front on your box and drill a hole for a vacuum hose. You'll get much better dust collection
Matt

What is the locating pin made from.. and also what are used for the rods? Threaded rods? Can't quite make it out..? Thanks for the share..

The pin is a machine bolt with the head cut off, 6mm. The two round bars are brass, slide nicely through the nylon. The ends of the brass bar are threaded and a nut and washer on each side hold it together.

Stormer1940":2cbs17c4 said:
What is the locating pin made from.. and also what are used for the rods? Threaded rods? Can't quite make it out..? Thanks for the share..

One advantage(probably the only one) of small cheap routers is that the pressed steel fences require the rods to be tapped, usually M5, which makes it very easy to make levelling ski feet or to attach the router in this sort of jig.

I'd never thought of using the rods to fix the router in a circle cutter, went home last night and made a crude copy out of some ply offcuts. Thanks again for a good idea.
IMAG0196.jpg

Back