Routing a roundover

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dance

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As a corollary to my previous post about buying bits for rounding over, I've been using an ovolo bit like this one to do some rounding over. It's far from ideal. It seems there is a sweet spot which takes ages to find where a nice round over can be achieved that doesn't leave a ridge at the top of the round over or isn't too sharp.

Is this because I'm using an ovolo bit and not a dedicated rounding over bit? If so, why aren't round over bits included in these "common bit" sets one can buy? Seems like it would be a very popular bit!

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• faitfhfull-faithfull-router-bit-ovolo-&-rouning-over-rb111.jpg
    faitfhfull-faithfull-router-bit-ovolo-&-rouning-over-rb111.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 230
Best to do it in hand held router, that way the router rides up and down on any material thickness inconsistencies. Set it so it's just a little bit less than full depth, and all will be well, just a little sandfing to do but you would have to do that anyway.

That's usually what I end using to do a roundover - but set it by eye and afterwards a quick wipe with some abrasive and you'd never know I was a tight @rse! :D:

Dibs

I think in the US a dedicated roundover bit is a lot more common than it is here. I don't see any of the US guys fiddling about to get the height right with their bits to avoid a ledge?

Whats the difference between a round over and the "ovolo" bit above? (It's not actually an ovolo BTW.)

Back