Router... what to buy?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if its up there in all the comments and replies, but you do know that Screwfix router you refer to is a 1/4" collet.

This will limit your options somewhat.

As a first router you really need to aim for 1/2" collet in my opinion. The 1/4" collet will limit your scope.

Thanks for that carlb40, I may pop down to the botanical gardens for that event, I'm twenty minutes down the road from there.

Super confused now! Quarter will be fine, no it needs to be half inch ...

I nearly bought the 1400 watt bosch ace the other night but decided to wait until the ebay guy replies. He's listed it for the 4th time at 75 quid so I might venture a low offer if he ever replies again. I dont want to do kitchen worktops so it will probably do the stuff I want. I dont know, might look at going to that woodcraft show first :)

The trouble is whether you buy a 1/4 router or a 1/2 you will be wrong. 1/4 really is to small for a router table and potentially dangerous because of that. 1/2 can often be to big and heavy for 'delicate' hand work.
Thats why they can woodwork a slippery slope, you need two, or three, or.......

mseries":2cyszxav said:
1/4 has been fine for me in a table and handheld for years.
Quite. Most people seemed to start with a 1/4 router and then add a 1/2 when their experience has grown.

For most routine tasks you'll want a router to do, can be done with a 1/4. Start with that, buy good cutters that will last, as and when you need them. Only buy a 1/2 when you've come up against a job that needs a cutter that's' only available in 1/2 shank. By then you should have a far better idea what you're using the tool for and what features are important to you.
I'll take a good 1/4 in preference to a mediocre 1/2 any day.

@Zodiac:

Can I suggest a slightly different approach to your problem of which Router.

One of the problems about this Forum (and with all the various other Internet info sources such as reviews, Youtube, etc) is that with the best will in the world, you ask 10 people the same question you'll end up with 11 answers! i.e. You'll end up confused. That's because apart from people who have been professionally trained in a certain way, everyone has developed their own techniques, wrinkles, methods, all based on what they're doing and the equipment they have. And worse still, if you're pretty much a beginner (like me) you may not even know exactly what it is you want to do.

So my approach was to buy the cheapest Router I could find and then, after looking at a good book and a couple of on-line explantions, just play with it.

In my case I bought a very cheap machine from Aldi, half inch collet, 1200 watts, 50 mm of plunge depth. Including a reasonable set of cutters and a fence plus one guide bush - plus a 3 year guarantee! You may note that I'm in Switzerland but I've often noticed posts on this Forum about items available in Lidl and Aldi in UK and those same items often appear in Lidl and Aldi here, and at about the same price too. In my case the above Router cost the equivalent of about UK£ 35, so I reckon that with something at a similar price and guarantee from any UK supplier, you won't go far wrong.

So what have you got? NOT a professional tool that's for sure. But you WILL have a machine that WILL (with some care) do "the job" (actually, many jobs). In my case I've used it quite a bit for various, relatively unimportant, jobs and as a result of doing those I now know a lot more about Routers, routing, and router cutters (I've bought the odd additional cutter from the likes of Wealden) and I'm now even making a router table. And I now find that having started off knowing nothing at all about routing, when I go back to various books, magazines, Internet info,etc, I've now learnt enough the extent that I can now understand and agree (or sometimes disagree) with the points being made.

So have I got a "good" tool? No, of course not. But if I regard that initial outlay of time plus 35 quid as a learning process/entry fee I reckon it was well worth it - and WITH the added bonus that with a 3 year guarantee I can get my money back if it all goes phut!

In reality the "Aldi special" hasn't shown any signs of giving up after over a year of fairly frequent use, but the cash outlay was so small in real terms that I don't feel at all bothered about starting to think about replacing it with a "proper" Router soon. The one difference is that'll I'll know enough to be pretty confident that whatever new Router I end up buying will suit me, my work, and my methods pretty well.

Of course all bets are off if you're in the position of needing a Router to put your daily bread on the table, but if like me, you're just a hobbyist, and a beginner to boot, I reckon that my approach as quite a lot going for it.

HTH

AES

Rhossydd":ukgt2dgy said:
mseries":ukgt2dgy said:
1/4 has been fine for me in a table and handheld for years.
Quite. Most people seemed to start with a 1/4 router and then add a 1/2 when their experience has grown.

For most routine tasks you'll want a router to do, can be done with a 1/4. Start with that, buy good cutters that will last, as and when you need them. Only buy a 1/2 when you've come up against a job that needs a cutter that's' only available in 1/2 shank. By then you should have a far better idea what you're using the tool for and what features are important to you.
I'll take a good 1/4 in preference to a mediocre 1/2 any day.

But that's the thing, the router zodiac is looking at is not a good 1/4 comparative to a mediocre 1/2. The device in question is a mediocre 1/4 with none of the benefits usually attributed to a 1/4, i.e. small form factor, light and versatile.

I don't know if most people start with 1/4 router's, I've never seen the stats on the purchasing of 1/4 over 1/2.

As for starting with good cutters, bear in mind that we are talking about a sub £30 router, which dictates zodiac's budget.

My point was that to buy one cheap router, then zodiac should take into account that a 1/2 device will take 1/2 and 1/4 whereas a 1/4 device will only run 1/4 (possibly 8mm - but unlikely on a low end unit) - thus limiting options. The cost of tooling will often surpass the cost of the tool and to invest in one type needs to be considered at this stage. Also the collet size will limit size of cutter and I don't know if this a problem for zodiac.

Just my opinion, one of many in this thread is all.

I agree with AES you need to get out and buy one, and start learning.

From my experience, I bought a second hand 1/4 inch router, it did not work well under the table and once a bit came out and cut my face! Needless to say I lost confidence in using routers!

So my experience was not good, and I am pleased I bought the Triton MAF001. Expensive (relativley), but I now have confidence in the machine and am keen to learn. It has all the functions I need.

The saying the "the poor man buys twice", happens a lot to me.

I have the same as AES, it was £25 (last September IIRC) and a box of assorted router bits for £7 (58p each!).

the router seems to be good quality for the price. It is not massive (compared to some), it plunges smooth, the locking method is easy and secure and seems to be better quality than other 'cheap' types. for example the one in homebase seems to be a lot lower quality but is £10 more and it feels a lot lighter than some (probably a bad thing!)

it is £25 so pocket money to buy, 3 year warranty and is plenty enough for a beginner to use. Also comes with different collets (only ever use the 1/4" one), a 'guide' and usually they sell a router bit assortment for £7

so for less than £35 you have a reasonable kit. they also sell a router table, it is supposed to be rubbish, but it has bits that people use on home-built tables (switch/etc).

I have not used it in much anger, but used the trim routing to match an overcut sheet of ply to the door i was repanelling (worked well) and just built a router table out of an old cabinet, and be picking up a pillar drill. I am slow starting but want to do the obligatory tealight holders to get used to the router, then just get more confident with the tools at hand.

http://www.socialshopping.com/images/co ... outer-.jpg

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/attachmen ... _small.jpg

i made this router table (and the fence works but not really pinpoint accurate for using without using pilot bearing bits but that's not a concern as edge routing is what i will be using mainly) to table mount it. I went to Halton Haven (charity furniture store, Widnes) , bought it for £10 (it was a Hi-Fi cabinet, with lift up top, they have larger units for <£20 if you have space and want a cheap but solid workshop cabinet), mounted the router (template cut, routed out to reduce the depth on the underside) and when edge routing is a lot nicer to use, safer (only a small section of the router bit is exposed) and the wood square is where i mis-cut but made a small wood cover and hole, so i can use larger bits and just change the wood for one with a larger hole.
WP_20140119_006.jpg

So total cost, <£50 all in for the router, bits (bought a second pack when Aldi were selling them off for £4 a month or so later, 33p each!) and some time. If i find i don't use it, well £50 spent over a few months isn't bank breaking, and if i do use it and find i need something more suitable then i have proven that it wont be a waste.

So if you are starting, i would either wait for Aldi to sell them or just look around.

Also for the 1/4" or 1/2", all depends on your needs, for a beginner a 1/4" is probably all you need.

Attachments

• WP_20140119_006.jpg
    WP_20140119_006.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 987
There's a tool shop in Swansea called CNS Powertools who I recommend. I was there yesterday looking at saws and the staff are very helpful. I may be worth a trip to have a play about and ask for advice. There's a Screwfix and Toolstation right there too.

I know CNS, they are a decent bunch of guys but they are not going to have a router for under £50. They have some Dewalt's and carry the Trend line, they may have some Makita if I remember, but no cheap first time routers.

I find their prices a little high actually, but then I'm comparing them to the Internet which isn't exactly fair.

Toolstation will sell Silverline which is more in the ballpark.

I know CNS don't stock anything in the OP's budget; I suggested he call in to ask for advice and handle some routers to see for himself what they're like. Then perhaps go over to Screwfix / Toolstation to buy a router afterwards.

I've found their prices to be in line with most other tool shops.

Mark

mark aspin":2jz8eton said:
I know CNS don't stock anything in the OP's budget; I suggested he call in to ask for advice and handle some routers to see for himself what they're like. Then perhaps go over to Screwfix / Toolstation to buy a router afterwards.

I've found their prices to be in line with most other tool shops.

Mark

Mark, wasn't having a go at your comment, was just adding to the thread. To be fair some of their prices are average, although I found the power tools a tad high, remember most of their in-store prices do not have VAT on the tags.

Also, I'm not sure on the ethics of going to a decent tool shop for advice to walk straight out and into a box shifter to make the purchase. The reason for the higher price between somewhere like CNS comparative to Screwfix are the overheads of staff who know what they are doing.

mark aspin":26jld2t2 said:
Also, I'm not sure on the ethics of going to a decent tool shop for advice to walk straight out and into a box shifter to make the purchase. The reason for the higher price between somewhere like CNS comparative to Screwfix are the overheads of staff who know what they are doing.

Ask advice then order online - less guilt :lol: :lol: :lol:
and its not your fault if the other shop do it cheaper - with powertools a couple of % can equal £20-30 to the buyer.

Most suppliers average their margin, hence things that already expensive end up more expensive.

example add a 20% profit to a £10 item and the buyer pays £12
add the same 20% to a £250 router and the buyer pays £300!

Personally I wouldn't pay extra for the same item when it is cheaper elsewhere - unless there is something in it like a warranty or I need it in a rush.

Latest posts

Back