Router Table shopping list

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to make my router table sometime over the holiday season.
But with delays in mail order etc and to minimise delivery costs I'd like to order the bits soon.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

So far I have the router (Freud FT2000)
I have a cutout from a large kitchen sink which should do for the top.
I'm thinking of getting a standard kitchen cupboard for the base.
I'd like to mount this on locking castors so that I can move it around the garage. Will this be stable enough?

Things I need to buy:
Router plate.
Router mounting screws. Need to know what size the freud takes.
Locking Castors
Router cutters (I'm looking at the Trend set from screwfix)
Some Tee nuts and jig knobs, although I haven't planned exactly what I need. Just been looking at the router tips on the wealdon site.
I think I have some M8 Tee nuts left over from something a while back, will have to check.
The fence will probably be made from some pine or ply I have around the garage.

I'm sure there are other things I need

Hi J, for the castors I would look at Axminster as their heavy duty locking castors are fine. I havve my own router table mounted on them along with most of my machines and they work well. I think if my memory serves me well that they take up to 500kgs! My router table is home made out of MDF and is bl**dy heavy and it glides around like a fugure skater on these. :wink:
thetop2nh.jpg

castors are the way to go, although I'm not to sure about the standared kitchen cupboard, arn't they a bit on the flimsy side. Why not make your own out of something more substantial like mailee's.
I made mine out of 3/4 ply with cupboards and drawers to store all the router accessories, like malee's it glides around the WS when I want to use it.

I got some castors off ebay which were the screwfix ones even down to the bags that they were in, at a very good price 2/3 of full price. I have to pack all my stuff away every night in a lockup and i have two observations.
1. Big wheels make easy pushing, small wheels get stuck on every thing.
2. If your floor is uneven get rubberized wheels as they go over the lumps, hard castors just seem to get stuck on everything.
Somebody will probably tell me this is the wrong way round but just my two cents

I'm with the other guys here. A standard Kitchen base unit will not be rigid enough. Like mailee, I built mine out of 18 mm ply and used the 75 mm locking castors from Axminster. I set the table height to be the same as my Triton Workcentre so that it can double up as an outfeed table when needed. The castors are a real boon for this as the table is pretty heavy (it used up almost a whole 8x4 sheet of ply) but with the castors locked it is rock steady. I built my RT from the plan in "Woodworking with the router" by Hylton and Matlack. It is a good table and the book has loads of other jigs and tips...well worth a look.

As you can see from Mailee's picture, there is an "Industry Standard" emerging for home-made router tables. I've built the same one, as has Tony. It's an excellent design - good size, plenty of storage. I recommend you spend a tenner or so with Brimarc for Norm's plans. They are clear and complete, and will prevent you making mistakes.

I have made a further improvement to mine - my fence is micro-adjustable.

Also consider the height adjustment on your Freud. It is a pain having to get underneath, so consider using either a router that can be adjusted from above (such as the Trend T11 - with all its other disappointments (see other threads on here) this is actually one very good aspect of the tool) or consider retro-fitting a Router Raizer and Xtreme Xtension, both available from Roger Phoebe at WoodWorkersWorkshop. If you are feeling flush, look at the Rout R Lift.

You will also need a camera to take piccies for us! :)

Enjoy your project.

Hmm,
Now i'm not sure about the cupboard/support structure.

I still consider myself a complete novice, i've not really built anything bigger than a photo frame. I'm not sure i'd be able to handle a complete sturdy base for my router table top.
That's the main reason I thought of using a kitchen cupboard. I see that it would probably need a bit if reinforcement, but I think I can handle that.
One day i'll build Norm's table, but not just yet.

Maybe what i'll do for now is get the top and fence done and use my workmate for a base.

Steve, I don't mind the adjustments being a bit fiddly for now, I can always add other stuff later on.
And I've got the camera ready, there will be photos.

Anyway, back to the shopping list.
I need recomendations for:
Router insert plate
Router mounting screws

j":1w7u1uub said:
Hmm,

Maybe what i'll do for now is get the top and fence done and use my workmate for a base.

Thats what a lot of people do J, and most people are quite happy not to bother with a large cabinet, especially if room is an issue.

Well J I would suggest you go for one of the ready made router plates of something like phenolic resin as these are very stable and tough. I did originally have a piece of Plexiglass/Perspex for mine but it still flexed too much. As for the mounting screws they are available from Trend and most other tool shops or you could just try the fastening outlets which would probably be cheaper. If you have a local one take the router along with you to check if you are unsure. Hope this is of help. :wink:

Have a look at Ron Fox's hints and tips at the Weaden Side for a good description of making a router table top and fence. He uses 2 sheet of MDF for the top but his method of cutting out the hole for the router plate is simple and accurate and can be used on your kitchen worktop( I used it on mine). The link is:-

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/rou ... _tips.html

Hope I am not teaching my mothers mum to empty eggs!

Latest posts

Back