Router Table Ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysubaru30

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Am new to this forum and amazed i havent noticed it before. What am looking to make is a basic router table. Is there any useful post that show me how to make a good one or anything along that lines.

Thanks for your help

I don't know if this is helpful but heres my build of my table. Still ongoing.

Router Table Build

Theres some good ones on the site if you use the search and just pop in router table and search the projects forum.

I too am ready to build a table.

The problem is not too few ideas, it's too many!

If you search on-line you'll get "Google-eyed" as designs for thousands fly around you ... my head is swimming.

I've considered everything from an expensive "bought table" to two planks and a clamp!

I think I favour a small, portable table for my diddy router now ... but which design!

I think if you've not had a RT before then you should build something very simple. Use an insert plate but build it out of cheap materials with a straight edge fence. Use it for a few months and make up your own mind as to what features you need. You may decide that you'll never use a RT.

Depends on what you intend making. I started with a table and thought it was the Bee's knees.
Two problems soon emerged, first, when placed on the work bench it was too high for comfort, and as soon as I made anything that required a heavy timber or a large cut it would move!
I don't like tables!

Roy.

exactly why it should be an evolution. Don't rush out and buy top end kits (even if you're making it) if you don't know what you want.

exactly why it should be an evolution.

Have to agree with you there mate! Our first thoughts aren't necessarily the best ones, unfortunately.

Roy.

My first RT was a piece of plywood with a hinged leg at one end and a cleat at the other, clamped in my workmate. The fence was MDF and two G-clamps. I did a lot of stuff on that.
I then built Norm's, modifying it a bit with Bill Hylton's horizontal router built into one end. I made my own micro-adjustable fence. I can't fault it, but it's not a cheap option, you need a couple of sheets of Baltic Birch Ply. It will last for ever though. Plans are available from any Brimarc stockist.

As for inserts, I think the Woodpecker must be about the best. I wish I'd bought it. I have the Tilgear aluminium one. It's quite good and heaps better than the Rousseau/Trend/Axminster offering.
S

Andy

Sorry no step by steps. Personally I'd not bother with an insert and spend the money on an Xtreme Xtension and attach the router directly to the table. Much easier plus the quick change feature on the XX makes using the table a breeze.

Here's my table: two sheets of MDF, laminated with a Trend T11 attached directly to top:

IMGP1869_edited-1.jpg

Cheers

Gidon

Digit":wh8mfgz3 said:
...when placed on the work bench it was too high for comfort, and as soon as I made anything that required a heavy timber or a large cut it would move!
I don't like tables!

I made a bench top model a few months ago, I think it's slightly less than 400mm tall...? Anyway. I've found my Black & Decker Workmate (in it's lowest position, with the feet folded in) gives a comfortable height for working - that probably equates to about 1m off the floor. I totally agree that they are too tall for most tables and workbenches, or vice-versa. :)

All I can suggest to prevent it from moving with longer lengths is to clamps or fix it down securely, somehow.

Like Steve, I've also got the Tilgear plate and I rate it very highly. Axminster do a very similar aluminium plate with a few subtle differences.

All I can suggest to prevent it from moving with longer lengths is to clamps or fix it down securely, somehow.
I couldn't find a way of holding the damn thing down Olly, that was one of the problems, anyway, it convinced to build it into the bench top eventually, now it's built into my T/S saw so at least I can now support long timbers as I run them through.

Roy.

I've built a number of tops and router cabinets but have settled on this, a home made one with an insert that fits on my Electra Beckum saw extension. The ply top is shimmed to be flush with the table, and the saw and riving knife can wind down below flush. To change a cutter just lift it up and tilt it. If i need the full saw table it just gets lifted out of the way.

The wooden cross is because I lost my mitre that fitted the track, so just made that (pic taken from my garden table thread)
3482294081_42b4d0e815.jpg

The Brimarc catalog came with the latest Good Wood magazine, and looking in there you can spend a fortune on fences, tables etc - no doubt for a professional they pay back, but I have no issues with the accuracy or ease of mine. Don't get sucked in to having to pay for the shiny all singing all dancing systems until you understand what you need and why. If possible buy items that you can reuse (in my case the insert and the channel).

The one item I would recommend from the brimarc catalog is the 4 corners that would make levelling and securing a table insert so much easier. Code is 476157 and cost £14.15. In the same catalogue the insert is £49 (but tha is kreg and i think other similar but cheaper options can be found)

Dave

I have the aluminum gold insert plate from axminster and I'd highly recommend it.

Digit":3coqz5lf said:
I couldn't find a way of holding the damn thing down...

Ah, but, that's why I gave my based 2" overhang all round, as well as the top! :D Screws, clamps, anything goes when I need it. 8) :wink:

I kep reading of people having trouble holding down their insert plate for their router, how come? Mine just sits in the recess and there it stays, no movement, no deflectin, no levelling screws, no holding down screws, just the plate, why oh! why?
My table is now about 15 years old, made of very little, cost next to nothing does everthing I have ever asked it to do, oeriginally I made my own insert plate from 6mm. alloy, this I had for most of the table's life, but when I bought a door panel set I needed a larger aperture so I bought the basic Axminster table insert and there you are, perfect every time, just be carefull when routing the recess and you will have no bother at all.
Derek.

Chems":3guvcs9b said:
I have the aluminum gold insert plate from axminster and I'd highly recommend it.
It says on the Axminster site that it has marks for holes that you drill yourself!

How does that work? I've only ever drilled holes in wood!

Latest posts

Back