Router Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFC1047

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Dewalt D6204 router, which I used for ther first time this morning,
I borrowed a couple of bits from a friend, whilst I was at his house yesterday, with 8mm shanks, as I had read in the instruction manual that it had 8mm collet.
This morning I find that my old bits fit perfectly, but the ones I borrowed do not. My original bits have a 6mm shank.

I know I'll get the answer quicker on the forum, do I need to buy an 8mm collet/nut for the router.
Does the 8mm collet described in the manual, mean it takes a 6mm shank bit ............I'm just a little confused :oops:

6mm is pretty rare (but maybe more common on the Continent?) 1/4" is the common size in the UK.

Leaving that on one side, an 8mm shank bit needs an 8mm collet, a 1/4" shank bit needs a 1/4" collet, etc.

1/4 inch is what you have I'd imagine - 6.35mm

You may find an 8mm collet is more expensive than replacing a few bits with 1/4" - not sure on DeWalt, only experience of Festool is that it's probably cheaper to fly to the moon and back than it is to buy a collet that's missing.

Do you mean 26204?

There are MUCH more 1/4" bits available than 8mm if that helps make your mind up about buying a collet.

Edit: You're in France, I see that now. I don't think there's a 6mm standard is there? Anyone?

DFC1047":373oaqve said:
Does the 8mm collet described in the manual, mean it takes a 6mm shank bit ............I'm just a little confused :oops:
On my 1/2" Router, the basic structure is a permanent 1/2" collet, into which I can insert smaller (3/8", 1/4") collet adapters. I assume your router is similar, in that it's 'native' size is 8mm but it's been supplied to you with a 6mm collet adapter in place.

I just had Google for a D6204 but couldn't come up with anything.
Generally collets come in 1/4", 8mm & 1/2" and you should only use bits with corresponding shanks - unless you like living dangerously.
I would guess that your collet might be 1/4" (i.e 6.35mm) so a 6mm bit would appear to be a good fit, but you really need the proper size given that it can be spinning at 24,000 rpm.
I've personally not heard of a 6mm reducer but Woodmangler could well know more than me.

Lots of replies:
Yes it was a typo .............DeWalt D26204 router . The manual says it comes with an 8mm collet quote manual "8mm(GB 1/4") ".... It was purchased online from a tool firm on south coast of UK.

Really what I'm asking is...........should this tool accept 8mm shank bits ?.............the quandry is , I have 8mm shank and 6mm shank.............the 6mm fits lovely, the 8mm does not go in. Is the manual wrong ? Is the collet supplied with the tool wrong ?

If you bought it in the UK I'm fairly sure that is a 1/4" collet you have there, not 6mm

DFC1047":1mz6maiu said:
Lots of replies:
Yes it was a typo .............DeWalt D26204 router . The manual says it comes with an 8mm collet quote manual "8mm(GB 1/4") ".... It was purchased online from a tool firm on south coast of UK.

Really what I'm asking is...........should this tool accept 8mm shank bits ?.............the quandry is , I have 8mm shank and 6mm shank.............the 6mm fits lovely, the 8mm does not go in. Is the manual wrong ? Is the collet supplied with the tool wrong ?

They do say 8mm 1/4" here's a link, maybe the "K"suffix is a different beast.

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/prod ... o/D26204K/
Rodders

Capture.JPG
Actually mine is D26203 ................the 26200 is a fixed based unit only, the 26203 is the plunge router and the 26204K is the combination pack of both.
This photo is off the Dewalt wbsite........clearly shows the collet size next to photo 8mm (1/4")....on the spec 6 - 8 mm collet

Capture.JPG

To go back to original questions ........... 1 . Should an 8mm shank bit fit this machine ?
2. If a 6mm shank fits perfectly, but the 8mm won't........... what is the problem ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,694
1. Apparently according to the blurb.
2. Do you have two collets or one? If you have one, and it's 6mm(ish) as you say, then there's your problem.

I'm misunderstanding something at a fundamental level.

So you now have a Dewalt D26203, Not a D6204, or a D26204.
For others to help you really ought to be more accurate with all model numbers, suffix and prefix.
I now believe the answer is, you're Dewalt D26203 is supplied with a 6 mm collet, but will accept an 8mm collett,
which is NOT SUPPLIED.
Please see the link and read the specifications, and also the contents lists.
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Dewalt-D26203-1/4 ... 41592.aspx

8MM collet here,--

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEWALT-326286 ... 0670855191

Blackrod,
smack on the leg accepted........profuse appologies :oops:

Question answered thank you very much

I think the problem here is that the OP is in France, where metric collet sizes are the norm, and the router was purchased from England, where imperial sizes are still to the fore.

It doesn't help matters when DeWalt seem to be saying that 8mm is the equivalent of 1/4" - I can only assume that what they mean is the machine would normally be sold in mainland Europe as a 8mm version and in the UK as a 1/4" machine. Presumably 3/8" (as a closer equivalent to 8mm) has been ignored for the UK because of the limited availability of cutters with that shank size.

DeWalt's 'K' suffix on model numbers denotes a Kit version.

All I would add is - Please, Please don't continue to use your machine until you are totally sure that the collet supplied with the machine is 6mm! I would wager that, as it came from the UK, it is a 1/4" collet - in which case using a 6mm shank bit in it is living dangerously. As has already been said - only use the same shank size as your collet.

Stay safe!

EDIT - my post crossed with Rodders' but I would still double check that collet size because 1/4" is the standard for UK machines.

Paul 200,
yes I think I certainly complicated matters.
In relation to shank sizes and collets etc. ............the bits I already have were purchased in the UK about 10 years ago, in conjunction with a router as a package. The new router was purchased in UK, and the bits are a snug fit into the collet.....I'm happy that they are the same size.
I have ordered a new 8mm collet/nut and will buy 8mm shank bits as and when I need to, so I think everything is ok.

DFC1047":3p66wv0z said:
Paul 200,
yes I think I certainly complicated matters.
In relation to shank sizes and collets etc. ............the bits I already have were purchased in the UK about 10 years ago, in conjunction with a router as a package. The new router was purchased in UK, and the bits are a snug fit into the collet.....I'm happy that they are the same size.
I have ordered a new 8mm collet/nut and will buy 8mm shank bits as and when I need to, so I think everything is ok.

Glad about that. I was going to suggest that maybe your bits were actually 1/4", not 6mm, but thought that would just add a bit more confusion :? :lol:

Paul 200,
thanks for the concern.
I've actually just checked the bits I have and they are 1/4 inch , 6.3 mm anyway as my micrometer is metric.

DFC1047":2pobvnak said:
Paul 200,
thanks for the concern.
I've actually just checked the bits I have and they are 1/4 inch , 6.3 mm anyway as my micrometer is metric.

Just as I suspected! These things can be a nightmare for the uninitiated - and not helped at all by the confusing info given out by manufacturers. Just glad you're still intact - I've seen the damage tools can do :shock:

Wuffles":2kr1ut29 said:
But he doesn't have an 8mm collet does he?
It took me a while to discover my router was actually a 1/2", because it arrived fitted with a 1/4" collet which I didn't realise was removable (at that time I'd never used a router before). I just wondered if he was making the same sort of mistake.

Back