Router Mortising Jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm trying to knock up a few more of these for the missus and I think I need to speed things up a bit. The main thing that slowed me down the first time was chopping out the mortises by hand. I want to use the router in order to speed things up, but I'm not really sure how to do it without the router slipping off the edge and drilling through my workbench?

Does anyone have a jig for such a thing? Or just some advice?

Thanks,

Keith.

You could try placing them side by side and clamping them together then routing them using the side fence that comes with your router. Alternatively how about making a right angled plate out of some scrap and clamping it to the side. Just a suggestion but maybe someone has a jig they have made for this.

Keith,

An alternative to making up a jig is to use two fences (one each side) on your router. This would make the router very stable and stop it slipping off the workpiece. If you add some wooden faces to your fences and rub them with a candle, this would help them to run smoothly along the wood - some of the plastic faces supplied with router fences are sometimes a bit rough and not very well made.

Paul

Could have sworn we had an old thread where folks were encouraged to post their jig pics, but can I find it? Anyway, here's what I use, a Roy Sutton design. Hopefully self-explanatory; the work has to be shimmed up level with the top of the jig btw, but that's not exactly difficult.

Suttonjig1.jpg

Suttonjig2.jpg

Suttonjig3.jpg

Suttonjig4.jpg

Suttonjig5.jpg

Cheers, Alf

Nice jig Alf :shock:

Keefaz, A lot of people just use two router fences, one either side of the job - I used to do this until I got a dedicated morticer and it works very well.

Not as fancy as Alf or Steve's but handy when using the morticer is tricky:

front_door0214.jpg

front_door0219.jpg

front_door0224.jpg

Nicked the design from somewhere but can't remember where ...

Cheers

Gidon

I have found mortising easier on the router table. Set the bit height and fence for mortise depth and position and a piece of masking tape stuck to the table top to indicate where the bit starts and stops. The workpiece is then plunged onto the bit and moved between the index marks on the masking tape...not much help if you don't have a table for your router though, I suppose.

Back