Router for handheld use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael7

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a decent handheld router and I thought a good one would be the 1400w triton but I see the bigger one in B&Q for just under £200. I like the thought of buying instore as its easier getting it fixed if anything goes wrong. Is the bigger one a bit of a handful and would I regret buying it.
I dont know much about routers except that the one I got off ebay for £10 is total rubbish. I was thinking of around the £150 mark and one with a micro adjustable fence and a 1/2 inch collet. Any suggestions welcome.

I have a trend T5 which is a very good router and i think you can get the perles identikit version for £80.00. I also have a festool 1/2inch that i bought is a moment of flushness. I find i always reach for the festool purely because it is better designed, as i am a hobby user i find it easier to use the more expensive router because it is user friendly. Everthing is logically set out and i therefore make less mistakes when i havn't used it for a while.
I think in reality there is little difference once you go above a certain cost bracket as they all do the job well. It seems lots of people rate the triton for ease of use in a table and some people seem to think the use of a router overrated(thats another discusion it seems :lol: ).
Owen

Eric,

What do you want it for? I know you said handheld use but do you require 1/4" or 1/2"? It will make a difference in the advice you get.

Gary

Thanks for the reply Gary,
I suppose what your saying is that for handheld use a 1/4 inch will do. I was just thinking that if I ever get a bigger router later on all the bits would be 1/2 inch

Hi Eric

IMHO the best small router is the DW621K, which doesn't have a half-inch collet, but it does take 8mm. 8mm is far better than 1/4" as you get 60% more steel for the same money.

Also, the dust extraction is excellent.

Cheers
Neil

Eric":2hmjamlo said:
Thanks for the reply Gary,
I suppose what your saying is that for handheld use a 1/4 inch will do. I was just thinking that if I ever get a bigger router later on all the bits would be 1/2 inch

Not exactly, lets say you wanted to make a staircase or fit kitchen worktops then you would need a half inch. To route a small round over and nothing more then a 1/4" would do.

Eric
I would get a handheld router is that's what you need now. If later you need a heavy duty router for table use or more carpentry stuff then add one then. Neil's right - 8mm bits are a good choice and most 1/4" routers also take 8mm.
I have a Trend T5 which I like. It doesn't have any fancy features but it does have a well made micro adjustable fence, a very nice soft start, smooth plunge action and feels well balanced for many tasks.
And it's around or less than your budget (this basic model doesn't come with a fine height adjuster or case I don't think but otherwise same router). The Dewalt was also a strong contender when I looked. Trend offer good support too.
Cheers
Gidon

Eric,

If you go for the Trend T5, it is available in two versions - the Mk 1 with a simple on/off switch and the Mk 2 with the new fangled EC approved safety switch. See here http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/t5/#mk2 My advice would be to go for the Mk 1 with the simple on/off switch - those so-called safety switches are generally a real pain.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I would not buy the Trend I have had two now I bought the first to replace my ageing Elu 96e (best router ever made).

This was replaced after a lot of hassle for a new one as the spindle wobbled.
Now the base has just peeled off my present one so I need to stick that back on not a screw on like the old Elu.

I got the Trend one as it looked like a copy of the Elu and I didn't fancy buying a dewalt one. As soon as I opened the box it seemed very poorly made and it had that smell about it of cheap Chinese power tools.

The kit you get with it is good but overall quality is bad in my opinion.

chipp71970":eh6r5dxq said:
I would not buy the Trend I have had two now I bought the first to replace my ageing Elu 96e (best router ever made).

This was replaced after a lot of hassle for a new one as the spindle wobbled.
Now the base has just peeled off my present one so I need to stick that back on not a screw on like the old Elu.

I got the Trend one as it looked like a copy of the Elu and I didn't fancy buying a dewalt one. As soon as I opened the box it seemed very poorly made and it had that smell about it of cheap Chinese power tools.

The kit you get with it is good but overall quality is bad in my opinion.

That's because their not FESTOOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Olly but it might be underpowered and it doesnt have a fence. I got the loan of an old B&D 600w router off my wifes uncle and it struggled at times, I really liked the small size though.

There seems to be a few models of the T5 but is this the Mk1.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 6&id=74218

Chipp, I see you have had problems with two T5s but £119 sounds good.

OK, so there's a choice between big but cheap-ish or small and accurate. I'd say that whilst laminate trimmers are great for tiny little jobs like putting a 3mm round-over on an edge and trimming laminate on the ends of kitchen worktops they're not much use for anything else as they don't have enough power - and the lack of a plunge facility is seriously limiting. The big 1/2in plunge routers are great for heavy work, like routing stait stringers, cutting worktop joints, etc. but the better ones, like the deWalt DW625 are really in the £200 area which makes them a tad pricy - they're also too heavy for a lot of smaller jobs. My own feeling is that for a first good router it has to be an 8mm plunge router, but I'd suggest taking a look at the Festool's "little brother", the Mafell LO50e. Not as complicated or as expensive as the Festool, but just as well made (and much better nailed together than the T5, IMHO). What it lacks is access to some of the Festool "goodies", but I can do without them. What it has over most other small plunge routers is the ability to be used in one hand - the fore and aft handle/knob positioning are actually very similar the the hand positioning adopted when using a hand plane.

F_LO-50-frei.jpg

Edit: Note the fence on the wrong side for some reason :?

Scrit

Thanks all for the advice. It looks like Ill be going for the T5, thanks for the link Gidon, this seems to be the cheapest. If I carry on with woodworking, which looks likely, Ill be getting a bigger router also. I like the look of the fence on the T5 which seems to be good sturdy setup

Thanks,
Michael

I have a T5 but wouldn't buy another one. The plunge had a lot of play in it so I took it apart to investigate and found that the smaller plunge shaft runs direct in the casting with no bush and the bearing length is only 5-6mm. When plunged and locked it is ok but when plunging into the work there is a lot of play making it useless for use in the 'rat on morticing. Very poor design in my opinion. Mine is several years old but has had very little use for what is supposed to be a trade tool.

John

Back