Router for door hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip

Established Member
Reaction score
Which router would you recommend for use with door/jamb hinge jigs? I already gave a table mounted 1/2" router but it's a bit heavy for doing the jambs.

I'm not a professional, it's just for my house renovation, then to be used as a general purpose hand held router.

Thanks

I'd go for the T5. Thats what I use with the two piece skeleton jig. I think the T4 needs an adaptor or something for it to use the trend jigs. Not sure, but I think I heard this at a show last year.

I don't have a trend or the jig but am interested and just found on the trend site that the T4 does need an adaptor as Zeddedhed said.

"T4EK router requires a ref. UNIBASE or special guide bush ref. GB/T4/160."

Personally, I'd avoid a T4 altogether. I picked one up figuring I'd live with any problems due to the price... but no... it drove me nuts. It got real hot real quick (and that was just playing about doing a 4mm butterfly mortice in pine) and the dust collector has to be screwed on and then taken off to get the thing back in the box. Oh, and not to forget the depth adjustment is "not very good". The optional fine depth adjuster is a waste of time and I wonder what possessed Trend to ever release it. The T4 is top of my tools I wish I'd never bought list :twisted:

Nelsun":8lrehjoj said:
Personally, I'd avoid a T4 altogether...
Same here - I've had two die on me at critical moments during jobs, won't touch them again; cheap, but definitely nor cheerful. I have an old makita that I keep just for hinges, and a home-made jig - works fine for the quantity of doors that I do.

Cheers, Pete

pike":t4koclnz said:
I don't have a trend or the jig but am interested and just found on the trend site that the T4 does need an adaptor as Zeddedhed said.

"T4EK router requires a ref. UNIBASE or special guide bush ref. GB/T4/160."

Thats the first time I've been right about something I thought was true.

Ever.

Today has now officially been a GOOD DAY. :D

I use the makita palm router for door hinges and I find it brilliant. We've done loads of houses worth of doors and never had a issue. Alex

I've got Bosch POF 500A and 600A (which is the 500A but with varispeed). I think the Trend T4 was based on them. They have really good Swiss-made motors, BUT...

... the depth setting and the plunge generally is a bit crude. They can jam, and there's enough give in the two plunge guides for the depth setting to be "approximate."

I like them for their light weight and willingness on the bench top, but I've used them on door frames (with a home made jig) and it's always been a bit of a heart-in-mouth moment, in case I slip and gouge something accidentally.

The Makita looks really nice, especially with the fine depth setting choice of bases and that long side handle (good for vertical use). But it is also a LOT more expensive than a POF 500/600A secondhand off eBay. I'd go Bosch over Trend, but Makita over both, if I could afford it. Bosch, incidentally, do have a similar offering now to the Makita (my POF 500/600s are long obsolete), and I think it's a bit cheaper, also DeWalt and Draper - might be worth a look too. People have said the Draper is good value but I've no personal experience.

Back