Router Dust Collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. I built mine after seeing the Incra CleanSweep system. My setup consists of a custom router plate with a 110mm diameter recess 3mm deep, and a 90mm diameter hole through the insert plate to accommodate a large panel raiser if I ever want to use one. I've made my own insert rings out of 3mm perspex with circumferential slots routed into them basically like the Incra inserts. Beneath the table I've got an MDF box that encloses the router, hooked up to a 100mm extraction port. The door is a simple hinged affair with some foam weather strip to seal it. I have a port in the box to connect my router fence extraction hose to the cabinet, so I have simultaneous extraction above and below the table from one extractor. Used with a twin motor extractor (Record DX4000) I get practically no waste uncaptured. The difference when I forget to shut the door on the collection cabinet is very pronounced!

I use a Norm’s design table with the cabinet underneath and also extract from the fence using a pipe connector. Output controlled by a rotating flap valve

a71283a517bc7dcf7f576b5b311e6193.jpg

Rod

siggy_7":lbdu41e0 said:
Yep. I built mine after seeing the Incra CleanSweep system. My setup consists of a custom router plate with a 110mm diameter recess 3mm deep, and a 90mm diameter hole through the insert plate to accommodate a large panel raiser if I ever want to use one. I've made my own insert rings out of 3mm perspex with circumferential slots routed into them basically like the Incra inserts. Beneath the table I've got an MDF box that encloses the router, hooked up to a 100mm extraction port. The door is a simple hinged affair with some foam weather strip to seal it. I have a port in the box to connect my router fence extraction hose to the cabinet, so I have simultaneous extraction above and below the table from one extractor. Used with a twin motor extractor (Record DX4000) I get practically no waste uncaptured. The difference when I forget to shut the door on the collection cabinet is very pronounced!

Thanks siggy, sounds like the thing I have in mind. Can you post photos of yours as it would help anf Im sure interest others.
Malcolm

I made one of those when I first started woodworking and routing. Worked well, but I decided to build a full built in table down to the ground on all sides so that I could use the under space for drawers. Now my router is in a central enclosed box thats part of the drawer set.

It’s the depth of the base unit (500mm) by 300 wide.
I made it in a rush a few years ago as a temporary one, made from some shipping case ply - it sits on an old Workmate - but never got round to replacing it.

f8123b2950829c44f9c474a9e58736c0.jpg

8feaf5a979934cfa85be8de2a34497ff.jpg

The top and insert are Woodpecker, the fence is a Rousseau and the DW is adjusted with a RouterRaizer. NVR switch on RHS

Rod

Malcolm, if you connect the dust at the source (the router neck) you don't need to worry about a box or fresh air to the router etc

Thanks Matt. I'm trying to think ahead and particularly with dados/ tracks, where a lot of dust accumulates. That's why I feel an additional hole in the table, just after and in line with the cutter would also be good. May see how the fence extraction works first efore thinking about enclosure of the whole router.
Malcolm

Malcolm, you will definitely need some extraction under the table. I reckon more than a quarter goes under.

The dust collection cabinet is a bit of a temporary hack as long term I want to build a proper cabinet under the table to store bits in etc, so please don't judge me - images as requested for illustration only!

This is my table. It's a piece of 6mm steel plate which replaced the sheet steel extension on the right of my table saw. It's supported underneath by 40mm aluminium profile with some support legs, and the support legs and saw are all carried by a box section steel frame on four casters to move about the workshop. I chose steel because I wanted a magnetic table top for MagSwitch clamps and featherboards, which is a decision I'm really happy with. When used as a router table, I secure my fence (Incra LS positioner) to the mitre slot of the table saw with two T bolts (to the right of the picture).

RouterTable.jpg

A close-up of the router plate. Again, it's 6mm steel, so sits perfectly level on supports flush to the underside of the table. My most commonly used insert ring is installed, a 32mm - these are made from 3mm Perspex and secured to the plate by two countersunk machine screws. The dust extraction slots were routed into the insert using a 10mm bit and trammel jig before trimming the insert down to size.

RouterPlate.jpg

A view of the dust collection cabinet from the rear. You can just make out the 100mm elbow for connection to the extractor. In the foreground is a 63mm hose which is permanently installed, this goes to the fence and is simply connected at the fence end when using the table. All built in 18mm MDF (in a hurry!). The thing with a wire in the foreground is a resistor - I have a number of these connected under the saw and extension tables to a 12V lighting transformer, which I switch on in the winter to avoid condensation and corrosion of the table.

RouterCab_Side.jpg

Front view of the router's dust collection cabinet, door closed. Held shut by a couple of tabs which spin around the mounting bolt.

RouterCab_Closed.jpg

And with the door open, showing the router inside and the rebate in the cabinet with foam weather strip to form a seal. There is a 240V socket inside the cabinet which is switched by an NVR switch mounted under the table.

RouterCab_Open.jpg

Attachments

• RouterTable.jpg
    RouterTable.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 90
  • RouterPlate.jpg
    RouterPlate.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 90
  • RouterCab_Side.jpg
    RouterCab_Side.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 90
  • RouterCab_Closed.jpg
    RouterCab_Closed.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 90
  • RouterCab_Open.jpg
    RouterCab_Open.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 90
6 mm steel is impressive. Did you get it skimmed or flat polished? or is it good enough as it came?

No flattening activities, it was flat as it came. It's screwed tightly onto the aluminium profile which comes very straight, I think that holds it nicely.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm jealous. I dont think I could afford the air freight to get one over to me.

Back