Router Collet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobgoldson

Reaction score
Hi
I am using a Ryobi ERT 1150Vn in a table and it has proved adequate for my needs. It included a 3/8th collet in the set and I (foolishly it seems !!) assumed that this would be okay for my 8mm cutters, however it isn't.
Does anyone know where I could obtain an 8mm collet that would fit this router? Failing this does anybody have a Trend C155 cutter in 1/2" that they would swap for an unused one in 8mm !!

Bob

You could try Trend, they do replacement collets for routers including Ryobi but can't see your one listed, worth giving them a call.

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/collets/#table95_anchor

If it were a small cutter then a reducer sleeve would be a possibility but I wouldn't want to use a profile & scribe in one of them.

Just another thought, trend do the arbors separately it may be easier to get a 1/2" arbor part No 33/31X1/2 for £11.00

Jason

Axminster were selling the arbors in their Sid's Savers clearance sheet.. my one is a few months old so I'd say recheck it. But the prices are very good. It should do the trick.

Jointing Cutters
P602424 PERFORM FINGER EDGE CUTTER FOR FINGER JOINT SET 60 5.47 2 4.65
P602421 PERFORM 1/2" ARBOR WITH NUT" FOR FINGER JOINT SET 1.32 7 1.12
P602427 PERFORM 0.05MM SHIM X 8MM BORE FOR FINGER JOINT SE 0.46 16 0.39
P602426 PERFORM 0.10MM SHIM X 8MM BORE FOR FINGER JOINT SE 0.46 10 0.39
P602425 PERFORM 3.4MM SPACER X 8MM BOR FOR FINGER JOINT SE 2.50 1

Cheers
Joe

Many thanks for your input gentlemen.
I've been in touch with Trend but it seems that they don't do or expect to do a collet for that particular model.
Changing the arbor wont work.
I am considering a reducer - I haven't got a lot of work to do with the cutter so may go that way !.
Have tried to contact Ryobi by phone and Email but no response !!

Whats the reason the Trend arbour can't be changes as it says it is for the C155 cutter, I can understand the Axminster one being different.

Jason

Obviously I am totally aware that I may be wrong, I've been wrong before for sure... :D

But...

I would have thought that all of these arbors are very similar or standardised... they may vary in the length but I'd have thought that would be the only way they'd vary.

They have two diameters... 12.7 mm for the shank and 8mm for the top. Spacers can be used if required. (to allow the nut to tighten if your cutters aren't tall enough)

The ones on sale are very similar to the following.. if not identical.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=554592

I think you'd be ok in any event with the reducing collar, it wouldn't be as secure as a single size collet but it should be secure enough.

As per
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=362891

Cheers
Joe

The C115 cutter uses a 1/4" ID x 22mm OD bearing so the shaft must be 1/4" therefore the 8mm Axminster won't fit but the Trend 1/2" shank x 1/4" tool will, Wealden also do a 1/2" shank 1/4" tool arbor.

Wealden also state that reducing sleeves are prone to slippage, thats why I suggested caution when using them with a large cutter.

Jason

Sorry about that.. (me being wrong :oops:)

It's just that I've never seen 1/4 " shafts...

I know what you're saying as well about the reducers but I'd still go for that option if I was the original poster, especially if he has other 8mm cutters which he can't use now.

If he doesn't have any other 8mm's then the new arbor would be best but it's more expensive. I would try to use 1/2" shafts wherever possible to reduce vibration.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back