Router collet size and bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I took a punt on a cheapo router at the boot sale this weekend. It didn't come with any bits so I need to get myself some. I have googled and the model in question is supplied with a 6mm and an 8mm collet. Obviously this one only came with the one that's in it now. Is it as simple as measuring the internal diametre to determine which size bits I need?

Also I've seen lots of small sets of bits, is it worth just buying a few single ones or is it handy to have a set? Which bits are the most commonly used? I'll be cutting small groves in boxes/drawers etc and maybe a bit of edge detailing.....

Thanks
Paul

You can measure the difference between 6 and 8 mm in the way you describe as there is 2 mm difference.
But....
if its the difference between 6 mm and 1/4" you may be setting yourself up for problems.
It depends on the tolerances on the collet.

you CANNOT run 6 mm shank cutters in a 1/4" collet and visa-versa. it will cause wear on the shank and lead to breakages.

I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago and found a 1/4" collet in a local hardware store. The router was a powercraft and I think the spare was a Black & Decker. The guys in the shop weren't sure (a number of left overs in a plastic bag).
It did the job, but I ended up replacing the router recently after one too many snafu's with the plunge jamming or not releasing at inconvient times.

Thanks chaps. This one is a powercraft. it's the pbf 1200w. I have found a few listed for sale and they all say it comes with a 6mm and an 8mm collet so I'll have a measure tonight.

They do come with a 6mm and 8mm collet, but I found getting bits in those sizes problematic, though it might not be if you're willing to part with more cash than I was at the time, CMT bits costing more than the router :wink:

A 1/4" collet cost me five euro and I then got various bits from Axminster.
If you can find 8mm bits, and you've an 8mm collet you may well be better off. The 8mm bits will be beefier.

Hopefully you'll have more luck with the powercraft than I did. For the odd job it's not bad, but watch the plunge mechanisim, and you might want to check that the bit's spin true. I think it's down to the collet being quite small/ short, but I found there was a bit of wobble in some of the bits.

Sorry for the double post.
Provisio which others may mention. If you do find 6mm and 8mm bits and stock up on them you'll probably find that any router you may buy in the future won't accept them, or the collet will cost about £24. Another reason I hunted out a 1/4" collet.

Back